GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   wintering elephant ears (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/47091-wintering-elephant-ears.html)

Guglielmo Portas 12-11-2003 03:42 PM

wintering elephant ears

From Chicago, I planted some nice black elephant ears pretty late
(August). They took well in my garden, so in October I cut them way
back, put them in big pots in my basement, now they're growing like
they're outside! The basement gets lots of natural light. Is this OK
or do they *need* a dormant season?

TIA

Vox Humana 12-11-2003 05:12 PM

wintering elephant ears

"Guglielmo Portas" wrote in message
om...
From Chicago, I planted some nice black elephant ears pretty late
(August). They took well in my garden, so in October I cut them way
back, put them in big pots in my basement, now they're growing like
they're outside! The basement gets lots of natural light. Is this OK
or do they *need* a dormant season?

They don't need a dormant period. However, if you stop watering them, they
will go dormant. I just dug all of mine this week. I will store them in
the basement in a box until next spring.

Guglielmo Portas 13-11-2003 06:02 PM

wintering elephant ears

They don't need a dormant period. However, if you stop watering them, they
will go dormant. I just dug all of mine this week. I will store them in
the basement in a box until next spring.

Thanks for the info. So, if I stop watering them, they'll just go
dormant and not die completely?

My apologies for incorrectly posting under this thread.

Vox Humana 13-11-2003 06:32 PM

wintering elephant ears

"Guglielmo Portas" wrote in message
They don't need a dormant period. However, if you stop watering them,

they
will go dormant. I just dug all of mine this week. I will store them

in
the basement in a box until next spring.

Thanks for the info. So, if I stop watering them, they'll just go
dormant and not die completely?

My apologies for incorrectly posting under this thread.

Yes. They will go dormant. The top will die back, but the rhizome will
survive. Here is a link to some information:
http://www.emilycompost.com/elephant_ear.htm

animaux 13-11-2003 08:22 PM

wintering elephant ears

On 13 Nov 2003 09:55:49 -0800, (Guglielmo Portas)
opined:

They don't need a dormant period. However, if you stop watering them, they
will go dormant. I just dug all of mine this week. I will store them in
the basement in a box until next spring.

Thanks for the info. So, if I stop watering them, they'll just go
dormant and not die completely?

My apologies for incorrectly posting under this thread.

All caladiums (elephant ear is one of them) will go dormant regardless. I have
some growing indoors and I watch them. When they start looking tired I cut back
on watering and they go dormant on their own. The ones outside are hardy in the
ground in my USDA Zone 8b.

Victoria

Guglielmo Portas 13-11-2003 10:02 PM

wintering elephant ears

Yes. They will go dormant. The top will die back, but the rhizome will
survive. Here is a link to some information:
http://www.emilycompost.com/elephant_ear.htm

Thanks a ton- I love this ng!

J Kolenovsky 17-11-2003 04:02 AM

wintering elephant ears

Sounds like black taro and you'll be fine with them in the basement and
cutting back on water.

Guglielmo Portas wrote:
=

From Chicago, I planted some nice black elephant ears pretty late
(August). They took well in my garden, so in October I cut them way
back, put them in big pots in my basement, now they're growing like
they're outside! The basement gets lots of natural light. Is this OK
or do they *need* a dormant season?
=

TIA

-- =