Old 12-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Guglielmo Portas

Default wintering elephant ears

From Chicago, I planted some nice black elephant ears pretty late
(August). They took well in my garden, so in October I cut them way
back, put them in big pots in my basement, now they're growing like
they're outside! The basement gets lots of natural light. Is this OK
or do they *need* a dormant season?

TIA
Old 12-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Vox Humana

"Guglielmo Portas" wrote in message
om...
From Chicago, I planted some nice black elephant ears pretty late
(August). They took well in my garden, so in October I cut them way
back, put them in big pots in my basement, now they're growing like
they're outside! The basement gets lots of natural light. Is this OK
or do they *need* a dormant season?

They don't need a dormant period. However, if you stop watering them, they
will go dormant. I just dug all of mine this week. I will store them in
the basement in a box until next spring.

Old 13-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Guglielmo Portas

They don't need a dormant period. However, if you stop watering them, they
will go dormant. I just dug all of mine this week. I will store them in
the basement in a box until next spring.

Thanks for the info. So, if I stop watering them, they'll just go
dormant and not die completely?

My apologies for incorrectly posting under this thread.
Old 13-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Vox Humana

"Guglielmo Portas" wrote in message
They don't need a dormant period. However, if you stop watering them,

they
will go dormant. I just dug all of mine this week. I will store them

in
the basement in a box until next spring.

Thanks for the info. So, if I stop watering them, they'll just go
dormant and not die completely?

My apologies for incorrectly posting under this thread.

Yes. They will go dormant. The top will die back, but the rhizome will
survive. Here is a link to some information:
http://www.emilycompost.com/elephant_ear.htm

Old 13-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Guglielmo Portas

Yes. They will go dormant. The top will die back, but the rhizome will
survive. Here is a link to some information:
http://www.emilycompost.com/elephant_ear.htm

Thanks a ton- I love this ng!
Old 17-11-2003, 04:02 AM
J Kolenovsky

Sounds like black taro and you'll be fine with them in the basement and
cutting back on water.

Guglielmo Portas wrote:
=

From Chicago, I planted some nice black elephant ears pretty late
(August). They took well in my garden, so in October I cut them way
back, put them in big pots in my basement, now they're growing like
they're outside! The basement gets lots of natural light. Is this OK
or do they *need* a dormant season?
=

TIA

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

[IMG] code is On

Elephant Ears Road Runner Gardening 5 17-02-2005 04:36 AM
elephant ears without the elephant Litl Fish Australia 5 15-06-2003 03:08 AM
elephant ears without the elephant Litl Fish Australia 0 27-05-2003 08:32 AM
elephant ears TakeThisOut Gardening 3 07-04-2003 06:20 PM
Elephant Ears TakeThisOut Gardening 23 14-03-2003 01:20 AM