Old 13-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Chantal

Default 2,4-D

To whom it may concern,

I would like to know where I can find the product 2,4-D please. By any
chance, if you know anyone in the province of Québec, would be great.
Thank you.

Best regards

Chantal

Old 18-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Colby Starker

Chantal,

2,4-D is usually the active ingredient in herbicides that are designed
to remove "weeds" from lawns. It specifically kills dicots but not
monocots. A note of caution: 2,4-D is likely a carcinogen. It breaks
down quickly in the environment to ~harmless components, but be careful
not to spray any on yourself!

Old 26-11-2003, 05:05 PM
canuckistani

"Colby Starker" wrote in message
Chantal,

2,4-D is usually the active ingredient in herbicides that are designed
to remove "weeds" from lawns. It specifically kills dicots but not
monocots. A note of caution: 2,4-D is likely a carcinogen. It breaks
down quickly in the environment to ~harmless components, but be careful
not to spray any on yourself!

2,4-D may be legal but it is far from ethical.
http://www.sierraclub.ca/national/pest/2-4-d.html
One wonders why people like Chantal feel the need to add to the problem of
excessive 'cide usage.
Perhaps she wants to stock up before the stuff is declared illegal in
Quebec.
http://ipm.osu.edu/trans/112_151.htm
Anyone wishing to use it is part of the problem.
A wide range of non-toxic methods to control weeds exist, a matter of
learning to do a google search.
Sadly, there are far more stupid people out there than there are thinking
people.

John H. Immink
Victoria BC Canada

Old 27-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Hank

"Colby Starker" wrote in message ...
Chantal,

2,4-D is usually the active ingredient in herbicides that are designed
to remove "weeds" from lawns. It specifically kills dicots but not
monocots. A note of caution: 2,4-D is likely a carcinogen. It breaks
down quickly in the environment to ~harmless components, but be careful
not to spray any on yourself!

Very interesting and timely that you should assert this. Within the last month another peer-reviewed
study has been published showing absolutely no difference in cancer rates between people who apply
2,4-D regularly and those who've NEVER used it. I'll be happy to show you my sources if you would
show me yours.

Hank

Old 30-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Tom Jaszewski

peer reviewed? oh boy supporters of 2,4-D and it's use validated a
study.Once again the inmates are running the asylum

Old 01-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Henry Kuska

Title: Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and specific pesticide exposure in men:
Cross-Canada study of pesticides and health.

Authors: McDuffie, Helen H.; Pahwa, Punam; McLaughlin, John R.; Spinelli,
John J.; Fincham, Shirley; Dosman, James A.; Robson, Diane; Skinnider, Leo
F.; Choi, Norman W.

Author Address: Centre for Agricultural Medicine, Royal University Hospital,
103 Hospital Drive, Saskatoon, S.K., S7N 0W8: Canada.

Published in: Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, volumn 10, pages
1155-1163, (2002).

Abstract: "Our objective in the study was to investigate the putative
associations of specific pesticides with non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma (NHL;
International Classification of Diseases, version 9 (ICD-9) 200, 202). We
conducted a Canadian multicenter population-based incident, case (n =
517)-control (n = 1506) study among men in a diversity of occupations using
an initial postal questionnaire followed by a telephone interview for those
reporting pesticide exposure of 10 h/year or more, and a 15% random sample
of the remainder. Adjusted odds ratios (ORs) were computed using conditional
logistic regression stratified by the matching variables of age and province
of residence, and subsequently adjusted for statistically significant
medical variable (history of measles, mumps, cancer, allergy desensitization
treatment, and a positive history of cancer in first-degree relatives). We
found that among major chemical classes of herbicides, the risk of NHL was
statistically significantly increased by exposure to phenoxyherbicides (OR,
1.38; 95% confidence interval (CI), 1.06-1.81) and to dicamba (OR, 1.88; 95%
CI, 1.32-2.68). Exposure to carbamate (OR, 1.92; 95% CI, 1.22-3.04) and to
organophosphorus insecticides (OR, 1.73; 95% CI, 1.27-2.36), amide
fungicides, and the fumigant carbon tetrachloride (OR, 2.42; 95% CI,
1.19-5.14) statistically significantly increased risk. Among individual
compounds, in multivariate analyses, the risk of NHL was statistically
significantly increased by exposure to the herbicides,
2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D; OR, 1.32; 95% CI, 1.01-1.73),
mecoprop (OR, 2.33; 95% CI, 1.58-3.44), and dicamba (OR, 1.68; 95% CI,
1.00-2.81); to the insecticides malathion (OR, 1.83; 95% CI, 1.31-2.55),
1,1,1-trichloro-2,2-bis (4-chlorophenyl) ethane (DDT), carbaryl (OR, 2.11;
95% CI, 1.21-3.69), aldrin, and lindane; and to the fungicides captan and
sulfur compounds. In additional multivariate models, which included exposure
to other major chemical classes or individual pesticides, personal
antecedent cancer, a history of cancer among first-degree relatives, and
exposure to mixtures containing dicamba (OR, 1.96; 95% CI, 1.40-2.75) or to
mecoprop (OR, 2.22; 95% CI, 1.49-3.29) and to aldrin (OR, 3.42; 95% CI,
1.18-9.95) were significant independent predictors of an increased risk for
NHL, whereas a personal history of measles and of allergy desensitization
treatments lowered the risk. We concluded that NHL was associated with
specific pesticides after adjustment for other independent predictors."

Henry Kuska, retired

http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/