Old 16-11-2003, 04:42 AM
Jim Carr

Default Identify Tree

I would appreciate some assistance identifying a tree. I bought a house in
Phoenix, Arizona, with several types of trees. Because we have irrigation
from the canals, water is not an issue. I have mandarin, peach, lemon,
grapefruit and orange trees. These were easy to identify (for example, the
grapefruit trees had big ole grapefruit).

I used several tree-identification flow-charts on the web, but could not
find what I consider an exact match. Here's what I think you will need to
know:

* Broad flat simple leaves
* Leaves not lobed. However, I would offer that at the base of some of the
leaves are little, tiny lobes about 1/8", almost growing "down" towards the
stem.
* Edges are serrated pretty much evenly.
* Stems are short (about 1").
* Leaves alternate one side then the other.
* There appear to be three little buds at the end.
* Veins are longer near the base, shorter at the top.
* Veins start with two at the bottom, then alternate on the way up.
* Base of the leaf is symmetrical.
* I would say the base is not heart shaped, but it's certainly not rounded.
Essentially, the leaf grows perpendicular to the stem, then rounds its way
upward forming a broad base.
* Leaf is smooth on top and on the bottom - no hair or fuzz.
* Color is green (not shiny) and dull green on the bottom.

At this point I get pointed to some pear trees. The leaf in this picture is
very similar:
http://www.oplin.lib.oh.us/products/...bradford.html.
The big difference (besides not being red) is that the leaf is longer than
it is wide. My leaf is just as wide as it is long. If you made this leaf
fatter, I would consider it a match. A key characteristic is that the top of
the leaf comes out of the round curve to form a little spike at the top. I'm
guessing it's not a pear tree because they seem to have fruit in
August/September, which is when I moved in.

It also looks like a redbud
http://www.oplin.lib.oh.us/products/...ud/redbud.html
except that a redbud has a hear shape. If the leaf didn't grow "down" the
stem but instead went out (or slightly up) in its curve, it would be this
leaf (notice the tip).

It comes very close to Basswood and Cottonwood.
http://www.fw.vt.edu/dendro/forsite/key/toothed.htm. However, the bark
doesn't match and leaves are smaller (2-3 inches).

The bark, looks like this:
http://www.oplin.lib.oh.us/products/...ry_white.html.
The branches are reddish, the bark of the trunk less so.

Anyway, I'm stumped! If you can help me and if I get another dog and if she
has puppies, I'll name one after you.

Old 16-11-2003, 10:12 AM
David J Bockman

Can you take some photos of the leaves and bark? Post them to
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens and I'm sure we can ID it.

Dave

http://www.oplin.lib.oh.us/products/...dford/pear_bra

http://www.oplin.lib.oh.us/products/..._white/mulberr

Old 16-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Elizabeth

I second the request for a photo or two...
that said, your description reminds me of the Poplars. Several species in
Populus have leaves as you describe. The bark may help you narrow it down.
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA

Old 16-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Jim Carr

Follow-up Crossposted to a.b.p.g

Pictures are posted under subject Identify Tree. Thanks for all of your
help.

Old 16-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Elizabeth

After looking at your pics, I like Populus Fremontii as a good starting
point. As water is available, it's a good candidate for your area as long as
it's not too close to water lines. hth
-
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

Old 16-11-2003, 11:02 PM
tbell

I suspect it's a fine-toothed or quaking aspen. See the following useful
site: http://www.oplin.lib.oh.us/products/...mmonname.html.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
(To reply by e-mail, remove APPENDIX)