Old 22-11-2003, 06:12 PM
David Emerling

Default mulch for trees

Hopefully somebody in this newsgroup is knowledgeable in this area.

Isn't it true, that there is little value in piling mulch around the base of
large, established trees. I understand the practice when a tree is much
smaller and newly planted.

I appreciate that some people like the aesthetics of placing mulch around
their trees, but if the tree is 8-inches in diameter it is likely that the
root structure is so widespread that a pile of mulch around its base
provides little benefit.

True of False?

--
David Emerling - Memphis, TN

If you want to email me - remove NOSPAM from the above address.

Old 22-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Phisherman

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:09:18 GMT, "David Emerling"
wrote:

Hopefully somebody in this newsgroup is knowledgeable in this area.

Isn't it true, that there is little value in piling mulch around the base of
large, established trees. I understand the practice when a tree is much
smaller and newly planted.

I appreciate that some people like the aesthetics of placing mulch around
their trees, but if the tree is 8-inches in diameter it is likely that the
root structure is so widespread that a pile of mulch around its base
provides little benefit.

True of False?

Mulching keeps the ground moist, helps prevent damage to the trunk
(keeps string trimmers and mowers away), and provides some nutrition.
A 2 or 3 inch layer is enough, but it's a waste to make "volcanoes."
Piling soil or mulch against the bark can harm the tree. I just
completed deciduouss tree fertilization using tree spikes along the
drip-line circle of the trees.
Old 22-11-2003, 08:22 PM
animaux

True. Countless trees die when people pile mulch up under the base. Never
cover the flare of a tree and mulch is best served at the drip line which is
where the fibrous roots are, not at the base where the tree has anchor roots
(which rot when mulched too heavily and close to the flare).

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:09:18 GMT, "David Emerling"
opined:

Old 23-11-2003, 07:02 AM
gregpresley

I might be wrong, but I think one of the purposes of mulching is to
discourage other plants from taking root close to the tree and providing
competion for water and nutrients. In dense forests, where some of our
landscape trees are native, trees generally "take claim" to the land under
their canopy, and between the smothering effect of a thick layer of dropping
leaves every fall and the general drought-like effect that a dense canopy
provides to the soil under it, few plants survive to compete with the trees.
In an urban landscape, people often want lawns to grow under trees, or in
some cases, perennial beds or shrubberies. Mulch probably would benefit the
tree by reducing the competion, but that runs in direct contradiction to the
landscaping efforts that people are making. I think it's a nice, satisfying
(and more natural) look to see a medium large tree surrounded by a large
circle of mulch or grass-less area (like 20 feet in diameter) , but for
people with small urban lots, it's probably only going to happen rarely -
because of all those fun flowers to grow, or because they think the
neighbors want to look out on lawns.

Old 24-11-2003, 06:42 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Hi greg,
The kind of mulch I use from my mulch pile (leaves, grass, etc.) does
not
discourage growth of weeds or encroachment of the lawn. However, it's
other
benefits outweigh this disadvantage. Another way to ease the problem is
mix a lot of sand near the edges of the circle to make the removal of
encroaching
grass easier to pull out. I don't think wood chips are a good solution
because
they tend to distribute themselves all over the lawn, and they take a
long time
to break down. Home lawns, unlike forests do not have trees tightly
packed together,
so weeds can get plenty of light to grow. I have multiple dwarf fruit
trees spaced
to a minimum, so I have to clean out the weeds during the growing
season. The
last thing I want is flowers growing under my fruit trees, sucking up
energy that
I want to go into my fruit. Also, although I use composted manure on
the tree circle,
I think there remain some weed seeds, which makes it also a necessary
disadvantage
to maintain good tree health. I think a nicely maintained tree ring of
dirt up to
the drip line makes for a very attractive setting for trees. Also,
since I cut my
own grass, I'm thankful for not having to duck under branches to get the
mower in
close to the tree trunks. As mentioned before, mulch does wonders for
all size trees
in protecting them from loosing Winter moisture and insulating the
ground from cycles
of freezing and unfreezing. It is also a great slow release fertilizer.

Sherwin Dubren

Old 24-11-2003, 01:12 PM
John Bachman

wrote:

Hopefully somebody in this newsgroup is knowledgeable in this area.

Isn't it true, that there is little value in piling mulch around the base of
large, established trees. I understand the practice when a tree is much
smaller and newly planted.

I appreciate that some people like the aesthetics of placing mulch around
their trees, but if the tree is 8-inches in diameter it is likely that the
root structure is so widespread that a pile of mulch around its base
provides little benefit.

Other posters have covered much of the ground here :-) so I will make
only one point. The main advantage of mulching around the trunk of an
established tree, other than the esthetic value, is that grass does
not grow right up to the trunk therefore less lawnmower damage. Thin
barked trees can suffer significant damage to the cambrium layer which
is just behind the bark.

However, trunk mulch should not be too deep and should not cover the
flare. That can encourage girdling roots which can eventually
strangle the tree.

John

Old 25-11-2003, 06:02 AM
Nick

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 06:49:26 -0500, John Bachman
wrote:
Will someone please tell me define the "flare" of a tree?

Thank you

Nick

Old 25-11-2003, 10:42 AM
John Bachman

wrote:
Will someone please tell me define the "flare" of a tree?

At the base of the tree where the roots "flare" out from the trunk as
the disappear into the ground. All trees should have the flare above
ground. Otherwise feeder roots might wrap around the trunk, that is
called girdling. As the feeder root grows it strangles the cambrium
layer that is just below the bark, killing the tree.

John

Old 25-11-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

Go look at a large tree. It will be at the base where the tree meets the soil.
It flares out at the base. Smaller trees don't have an apparent flare, but they
still do have one. If mulch is placed on top of it, rot can cause problems to
the tree base.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:52:00 -0600, Nick opined: