Old 09-12-2003, 07:12 AM
CY

Default Semi-Dwarf Citrus in AZ

I posted this question last year and some really helpful person who lives
near me replied, so I hope you are still here!!

I have a Semi-Dwarf Lemon and one Orange tree. We live in the Phoenix
suburbs and this year they are both overflowing with fruit. I don't know
when I should pick them and what the signs are. I tasted one of the oranges
but they lack sweetness and taste more lemony than orange.

Can anyone help?

TIA,
CY

Old 09-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Brian

There are many varieties of the Orange and several are not very sweet. Some
are grown only for effect [they look splendid] and others for marmalade etc.
Make a decision after the first fruit falls naturally~ when the ultimate
taste will have been achieved. Some streets in Italian villages are lined
with splendid looking trees but are inedible to ensure they are not
attractive to children!!
Best wishes.

Old 09-12-2003, 07:02 PM
CY

I am pretty sure they are not ornamentals - I will be mad if they are as I
paid good money for an "orange" tree. Any idea how long it will be before
the fruit falls naturally?

Old 09-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Brian

Some can remain for very many weeks which is why they can be so ornamental.
Try waiting till one feels softish and has an increased smell. I have had an
Orange that looked so splendid that I was made to purchase rather than
destroy its appearance. If they are going to be sweet you will soon find
out~~if not then enjoy the appearance. Best Wishes.
newsPoBb.25497$o9.20498@fed1read07...

Old 12-12-2003, 04:02 AM
hort-4

"CY" wrote in message
newsPoBb.25497$o9.20498@fed1read07...
I am pretty sure they are not ornamentals - I will be mad if they are as

paid good money for an "orange" tree. Any idea how long it will be

before
the fruit falls naturally?

the peel becomes puffy when on the tree too long, but might still taste ok.

Old 20-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Bill Austin - EVLiving.com - Your Guide to the Eas

"CY" wrote in message news:OyeBb.25399

I have a Semi-Dwarf Lemon and one Orange tree. We live in the Phoenix
suburbs and this year they are both overflowing with fruit. I don't know
when I should pick them and what the signs are. I tasted one of the

oranges
but they lack sweetness and taste more lemony than orange.

Can anyone help?

My lemons still don't seem to be ready. The lemonade is still way too sour
for anyone but me to drink.

Nothing has fallen off the tree yet but it is covered with yellow.

In Chandler AZ,
http://www.evliving.com/
http://www.vegetablegardening.us/

[IMG] code is On

Citrus Plants, Citrus Feed, Citrus Compost Kathryn Selfe Marketplace 0 01-11-2008 03:41 PM
Semi Dwarf fruit tree spacing Zootal Gardening 32 01-04-2006 02:23 AM
Magnolia (semi dwarf) Shaw Australia 2 22-02-2006 11:37 AM
Dwarf Citrus won't fruit andy Gardening 2 16-05-2004 09:06 PM
Dwarf Citrus Willow Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:34 AM