GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Protecting wooden flats. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/48500-protecting-wooden-flats.html)

Phisherman 12-12-2003 07:33 PM

Protecting wooden flats.

I've been given a few wooden (pine) flats for starting seeds and
wondering the best way to finish them to help prevent them from
rotting? Paint? wax? paraffin? Linseed oil? Any finishes to avoid?
I'll be using them for starting seeds next month for next year's
vegetable & herb gardens. Thanks.

J Kolenovsky 12-12-2003 08:02 PM

Protecting wooden flats.

I'm not an expert to answer this but I would think linseed oil or
paraffin would be the choices.

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com

Phisherman wrote:
=

I've been given a few wooden (pine) flats for starting seeds and
wondering the best way to finish them to help prevent them from
rotting? Paint? wax? paraffin? Linseed oil? Any finishes to avoid?
I'll be using them for starting seeds next month for next year's
vegetable & herb gardens. Thanks.

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

[email protected] 13-12-2003 04:02 PM

Protecting wooden flats.

I paint mine with exterior grade latex house paint. They last about five
years. A yearly paint job would probably make them last forever.

--beeky