GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   you know you're a mad gardener when...... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/48985-you-know-youre-mad-gardener-when.html)

madgardener 21-12-2003 09:02 PM

you know you're a mad gardener when......

you know you're a madgardener when you're sitting in the theater,
watching "Return of the Kings" and you catch yourself telling your
spouse that the bright red flowers outside Sam Gamgee's house at the
end of the movie are very healthy nasturtiums.............
madgardener

Frogleg 21-12-2003 09:12 PM

you know you're a mad gardener when......

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:46:58 -0500, madgardener
wrote:

you know you're a madgardener when you're sitting in the theater,
watching "Return of the Kings" and you catch yourself telling your
spouse that the bright red flowers outside Sam Gamgee's house at the
end of the movie are very healthy nasturtiums.............

Nope. You have to search websites and find out who *grew* the
nasturtiums. Unless, of course, your own are comparable. I've never
been able to nurture a respectable nasturtium. But I know what you
mean.

Zemedelec 21-12-2003 10:05 PM

you know you're a mad gardener when......

All of the colors in that last Shire part looked artificially heightened.
Maybe that's what gave the "plastic" look to the nasturtiums.
zemedelec

animaux 21-12-2003 11:42 PM

you know you're a mad gardener when......

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:09:17 GMT, Frogleg opined:

wrote:

you know you're a madgardener when you're sitting in the theater,
watching "Return of the Kings" and you catch yourself telling your
spouse that the bright red flowers outside Sam Gamgee's house at the
end of the movie are very healthy nasturtiums.............

Nope. You have to search websites and find out who *grew* the
nasturtiums. Unless, of course, your own are comparable. I've never
been able to nurture a respectable nasturtium. But I know what you
mean.

They do much better in cool weather. Mine go great till about May, then poop
out and start up again in September. Of course for those who don't know, I live
in USDA Zone 8b, Austin, Texas.

We have two short growing seasons here, rather than one long.

SAS567 22-12-2003 12:32 AM

you know you're a mad gardener when......

you know you're a madgardener when;
You are at a family members house and you notice their plants need some work.
You start dead-heading them as you carry on a conversation. ;-)
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Allview 22-12-2003 12:42 PM

you know you're a mad gardener when......

you know you're a madgardener when;
You are at a family members house and you notice their plants need some
work.
You start dead-heading them as you carry on a conversation. ;-)

I've done that.

Marilyn

Cheryl Isaak 22-12-2003 01:02 PM

you know you're a mad gardener when......

On 12/22/03 7:32 AM, in article
, "Allview"
wrote:

you know you're a madgardener when;

You are at a family members house and you notice their plants need some
work.
You start dead-heading them as you carry on a conversation. ;-)

I've done that.

Marilyn

Me too

Or weed a friends garden, a complete strangers garden or worst, a public
garden. I've done all three!

HA HA Budys Here 22-12-2003 02:12 PM

you know you're a mad gardener when......

From: Cheryl Isaak

On 12/22/03 7:32 AM, in article
, "Allview"
wrote:

you know you're a madgardener when;
You are at a family members house and you notice their plants need some
work.
You start dead-heading them as you carry on a conversation. ;-)

I've done that.

Marilyn

Me too

Or weed a friends garden, a complete strangers garden or worst, a public
garden. I've done all three!

Or weed the woods! Or potted shrubs at a garden center! Or you see an unkempt
house with a tree sapling growing out of their rain gutter, and you ask if you
can transplant it!

animaux 22-12-2003 03:32 PM

you know you're a mad gardener when......

Actually, this is what got me into the industry. I used to go to my favorite
garden center all the time. I'd walk around looking at plants, pulling weeds,
cleaning the plants, even watered some. The owner came over to me one day and
asked if I'd like to work there. I quit my 18 dollar an hour (20 years ago)
job and worked for 6 dollars an hour at the garden center. I never looked back.
After a year I was the manager and director of the herb division. I went to
school, became a grower and that was that.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:49:56 GMT, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

On 12/22/03 7:32 AM, in article
, "Allview"

Cheryl Isaak 22-12-2003 04:02 PM

you know you're a mad gardener when......

I've actually pulled a weed during a daylily tour.
But never ever dead head in a daylily garden, you never know if they are
hybridizing!
And if that new place up the road ever gets going, I just might start
pulling weeds myself!
Cheryl

rosie 22-12-2003 04:12 PM

you know you're a mad gardener when......

I quit my 18 dollar an hour (20 years ago)
job and worked for 6 dollars an hour at the garden center. I

never looked
back.

there is NO MONEY and NOTHING like working at something you love!
congrats to you!

--
rosie
)

the main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the
bad
girls live.
................................. anonymous

,

wrote:

you know you're a madgardener when;
You are at a family members house and you notice their

plants need some
work.
You start dead-heading them as you carry on a conversation.

;-)

[email protected] 22-12-2003 06:32 PM

you know you're a mad gardener when......

LOL... yep, I saw them too. I know there was a lot of talk about they started 2
years before to landscape for the shooting... 2 years for the plants to mature and
look like they been there a while. wasnt it an incredible movie? Ingrid

madgardener wrote:

you know you're a madgardener when you're sitting in the theater,
watching "Return of the Kings" and you catch yourself telling your
spouse that the bright red flowers outside Sam Gamgee's house at the
end of the movie are very healthy nasturtiums.............
madgardener

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Lynda LeCompte 22-12-2003 10:12 PM

you know you're a mad gardener when......

On 22 Dec 2003 14:03:35 GMT, HA HA Budys Here
wrote:

Or weed the woods!

snippers

lmao! /looks out of window at woods across road

They can stay weedy over here. I have enough to contend with with my
garden!
I do confess to removing dead leaves in nurseries... and almost choking
when I see how pot bound some of the plants are :-/
--
Lynda

madgardener 22-12-2003 10:32 PM

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:31:38 GMT, wrote:

LOL... yep, I saw them too. I know there was a lot of talk about they started 2
years before to landscape for the shooting... 2 years for the plants to mature and
look like they been there a while. wasnt it an incredible movie? Ingrid

yes absolutely incredible. I can't wait now for them to release the
DVD to complete the set we've gotten already. (I have a bad habit of
purchasing the first release and then they came out with the extended
versions. This time I will hold back and wait until I know it's the
only version they're releasing. I told my husband it was a nice back
up DVD collection we have and he just says "yeah, right" but he loves
these movies too. Starz was playing the extended version back to back
with the release of Two Towers this weekend, but I pointed out to him
that the Two Towers version was the first release and not the extended
version. But it was nice to see both of them and then go to the Return
of the King the next morning. (boy was he glad I purchased the
tickets online for mattinee and we got there 45 minutes early for best
seating. The place filled up completely and they were showing it in
two theaters where we were)
Maddie