GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Where to get a holly tree? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/49502-where-get-holly-tree.html)

John Bachman 01-01-2004 03:12 PM

Where to get a holly tree?

I have seen several holly trees in the Cape Cod area and would like to
put one in our front yard. Those I have seen are about 15 feet high
and probably the same width.

Does anyone know of a source for such a tree?

TIA

John

[email protected] 01-01-2004 03:42 PM

Where to get a holly tree?

several Hollys here http://www.musserforests.com/browse.asp?m=1&p=h
Ingrid

John Bachman wrote:

I have seen several holly trees in the Cape Cod area and would like to
put one in our front yard. Those I have seen are about 15 feet high
and probably the same width.

Does anyone know of a source for such a tree?

TIA

John

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Pat Keith 01-01-2004 05:12 PM

Where to get a holly tree?

Holly is pretty easy to root. Why not take a few cuttings from a tree that
you like?

J Kolenovsky 01-01-2004 06:02 PM

Where to get a holly tree?

Good idea, Pat. John Bachman, would this suggestion work or do you need
a larger specimen?
If so, perhaps of the native plant nurseries in your area would have
some inventory.

Pat Keith wrote:
=

Holly is pretty easy to root. Why not take a few cuttings from a tree =

that
you like?

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

David J Bockman 01-01-2004 06:43 PM

Where to get a holly tree?

Just fyi, there is a *serious* shortage of Ilex opaca in the industry,
although last year seemed to be the 'watershed low' in terms of
availability.

Dave

Jim Lewis 01-01-2004 09:32 PM

Where to get a holly tree?

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
Just fyi, there is a *serious* shortage of Ilex opaca in the

industry,
although last year seemed to be the 'watershed low' in terms of
availability.

Yeahbut . . . I. Opaca isn't the only native kid (holly) on the
block that makes a good yard tree.

Look for I. montana (30 feet), or I. vomitoria (as long as you
stay away from that dwarf monstrosity that is so common in the
nurseries) also makes an excellent, colorful yard tree to about
20 feet.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)