Old 01-01-2004, 03:12 PM
John Bachman

Default Where to get a holly tree?

I have seen several holly trees in the Cape Cod area and would like to
put one in our front yard. Those I have seen are about 15 feet high
and probably the same width.

Does anyone know of a source for such a tree?

TIA

John

Old 01-01-2004, 03:42 PM

several Hollys here http://www.musserforests.com/browse.asp?m=1&p=h
Ingrid

John Bachman wrote:

I have seen several holly trees in the Cape Cod area and would like to
put one in our front yard. Those I have seen are about 15 feet high
and probably the same width.

Does anyone know of a source for such a tree?

TIA

John

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 01-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Pat Keith

Holly is pretty easy to root. Why not take a few cuttings from a tree that
you like?

Old 01-01-2004, 06:02 PM
J Kolenovsky

Good idea, Pat. John Bachman, would this suggestion work or do you need
a larger specimen?
If so, perhaps of the native plant nurseries in your area would have
some inventory.

Pat Keith wrote:
=

Holly is pretty easy to root. Why not take a few cuttings from a tree =

that
you like?

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 01-01-2004, 06:43 PM
David J Bockman

Just fyi, there is a *serious* shortage of Ilex opaca in the industry,
although last year seemed to be the 'watershed low' in terms of
availability.

Dave

Old 01-01-2004, 09:32 PM
Jim Lewis

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
Just fyi, there is a *serious* shortage of Ilex opaca in the

industry,
although last year seemed to be the 'watershed low' in terms of
availability.

Yeahbut . . . I. Opaca isn't the only native kid (holly) on the
block that makes a good yard tree.

Look for I. montana (30 feet), or I. vomitoria (as long as you
stay away from that dwarf monstrosity that is so common in the
nurseries) also makes an excellent, colorful yard tree to about
20 feet.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

[IMG] code is On

American Holly Tree rara Marketplace 0 24-03-2010 12:51 PM
Yaupon Holly (and other holly questions) Susan Hogarth North Carolina 5 11-01-2005 05:16 PM
Pruning tall holly tree ?? gray United Kingdom 15 15-12-2004 01:37 PM
Holly hedge - how do you get the hawthorn trees out? Peter Boulton United Kingdom 4 15-09-2004 08:27 AM
Holly tree? John Bachman Gardening 15 14-03-2003 11:44 AM