GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cherry Treee for South? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/49953-cherry-treee-south.html)

chaz 09-01-2004 12:02 AM

Cherry Treee for South?

I am in SC and am shopping for a couple of cherry trees. I wanted to know
what kind of recommendation I could get on a mail order farm for these? I
have catalogs from Jung Seeds and Shumway.

I havent bought a tree before so I am asking.

chaz-

animaux 09-01-2004 04:02 AM

Cherry Treee for South?

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:57:23 GMT, "chaz" opined:

I am in SC and am shopping for a couple of cherry trees. I wanted to know
what kind of recommendation I could get on a mail order farm for these? I
have catalogs from Jung Seeds and Shumway.

I havent bought a tree before so I am asking.

chaz-

Cherries do not do well further south than Virginia.

Phisherman 09-01-2004 02:02 PM

Cherry Treee for South?

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 03:54:48 GMT, animaux wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:57:23 GMT, "chaz" opined:

I am in SC and am shopping for a couple of cherry trees. I wanted to know
what kind of recommendation I could get on a mail order farm for these? I
have catalogs from Jung Seeds and Shumway.

I havent bought a tree before so I am asking.

chaz-

Cherries do not do well further south than Virginia.

They grow wild like weeds here in east Tennessee. I have harvested a
few cherry trees on my property for furniture making and woodenware.

Hal 09-01-2004 03:32 PM

Cherry Treee for South?

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 03:54:48 GMT, animaux wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:57:23 GMT, "chaz" opined:

I am in SC and am shopping for a couple of cherry trees. I wanted to know
what kind of recommendation I could get on a mail order farm for these? I
have catalogs from Jung Seeds and Shumway.

I havent bought a tree before so I am asking.

chaz-

Cherries do not do well further south than Virginia.

I climbed a cherry tree near Yorktown and ate some about 50 some odd
years ago and I believe you are talking about fruiting cherry trees
and I believe you.

I don't know the answer to the original poster's question, and he
didn't say fruit/flower, but look what we have in the heart of
Georgia:

http://www.cherryblossom.com/
http://www.cherryblossom.com/history.htm

Regards

Hal

chaz 09-01-2004 05:02 PM

Cherry Treee for South?

"Hal" wrote in message
[...]

I just want to grow some cherries! LOL

chaz-

animaux 09-01-2004 07:02 PM

Cherry Treee for South?

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 12:02:41 -0500, "chaz" opined:

I just want to grow some cherries! LOL

chaz-

Okay, then no, there aren't any southern cherries which will produce fruit for
you. Nothing further south than D.C. that I know of. I have a cherry laurel,
if that counts! Get yourself some peaches, pears and rasberries...even
blackberries, but not cherries.

FarmerDill 10-01-2004 05:03 PM

Cherry Treee for South?

I just want to grow some cherries! LOL

Check with your county agent or Clemson U. I expect a sour cherry (pie cherry)
like Early Richmond or Montmorency would grow in upstate SC. They do very well
in piedmont Virginia.