Old 09-01-2004, 12:02 AM
chaz

Default Cherry Treee for South?

I am in SC and am shopping for a couple of cherry trees. I wanted to know
what kind of recommendation I could get on a mail order farm for these? I
have catalogs from Jung Seeds and Shumway.

I havent bought a tree before so I am asking.

chaz-

Old 09-01-2004, 04:02 AM
animaux

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:57:23 GMT, "chaz" opined:

I am in SC and am shopping for a couple of cherry trees. I wanted to know
what kind of recommendation I could get on a mail order farm for these? I
have catalogs from Jung Seeds and Shumway.

I havent bought a tree before so I am asking.

chaz-

Cherries do not do well further south than Virginia.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Phisherman

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 03:54:48 GMT, animaux wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:57:23 GMT, "chaz" opined:

I am in SC and am shopping for a couple of cherry trees. I wanted to know
what kind of recommendation I could get on a mail order farm for these? I
have catalogs from Jung Seeds and Shumway.

I havent bought a tree before so I am asking.

chaz-

Cherries do not do well further south than Virginia.

They grow wild like weeds here in east Tennessee. I have harvested a
few cherry trees on my property for furniture making and woodenware.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Hal

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 03:54:48 GMT, animaux wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:57:23 GMT, "chaz" opined:

I am in SC and am shopping for a couple of cherry trees. I wanted to know
what kind of recommendation I could get on a mail order farm for these? I
have catalogs from Jung Seeds and Shumway.

I havent bought a tree before so I am asking.

chaz-

Cherries do not do well further south than Virginia.

I climbed a cherry tree near Yorktown and ate some about 50 some odd
years ago and I believe you are talking about fruiting cherry trees
and I believe you.

I don't know the answer to the original poster's question, and he
didn't say fruit/flower, but look what we have in the heart of
Georgia:

http://www.cherryblossom.com/
http://www.cherryblossom.com/history.htm

Regards

Hal
Old 09-01-2004, 05:02 PM
chaz

"Hal" wrote in message
[...]

I just want to grow some cherries! LOL

chaz-

Old 09-01-2004, 07:02 PM
animaux

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 12:02:41 -0500, "chaz" opined:

I just want to grow some cherries! LOL

chaz-

Okay, then no, there aren't any southern cherries which will produce fruit for
you. Nothing further south than D.C. that I know of. I have a cherry laurel,
if that counts! Get yourself some peaches, pears and rasberries...even
blackberries, but not cherries.

Old 10-01-2004, 05:03 PM
FarmerDill

I just want to grow some cherries! LOL

Check with your county agent or Clemson U. I expect a sour cherry (pie cherry)
like Early Richmond or Montmorency would grow in upstate SC. They do very well
in piedmont Virginia.