GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plumeria cuttings have black rot.... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/50479-plumeria-cuttings-have-black-rot.html)

Jim Caldwell 18-01-2004 09:32 AM

Plumeria cuttings have black rot....

I bought some plumeria cuttings last September, put them in a plastic bag on
a shelf in the garage. Looked at them today (mid-January) and three of them
have turned to black mush on the growing end, and they are are all showing
some black which I believe is probably mold. The three that are badly rotted
I threw away, but planted the others. They show some "black" but still have
some green healthy-looking tissue also. Will they still root and grow OK?
There were very hot days in the fall, and the winter has been very mild here
in S Texas. Do the cutting need to be kept cold and dry ?

J Kolenovsky 19-01-2004 06:10 PM

Plumeria cuttings have black rot....

http://www.io.com/~jrm/plum007.htm - care instructions
http://www.io.com/~jrm/plumeria.html - all other instructions

Jim Caldwell wrote:
=

I bought some plumeria cuttings last September, put them in a plastic b=

ag on
a shelf in the garage. Looked at them today (mid-January) and three of =

them
have turned to black mush on the growing end, and they are are all show=

ing
some black which I believe is probably mold. The three that are badly r=

otted
I threw away, but planted the others. They show some "black" but still =

have
some green healthy-looking tissue also. Will they still root and grow O=

K?
There were very hot days in the fall, and the winter has been very mild=

here
in S Texas. Do the cutting need to be kept cold and dry ?

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

RapturousRenay 08-02-2004 11:24 AM

Plumeria cuttings have black rot....

[I bought some plumeria cuttings last September....., Do the cutting need to be kept cold and dry ? [/b][/quote]

hi there
my suggestion is to cut off any of the rot and keep trying. make sure you cut it well beyond where the rot stops.
with plumeria, they are full of latex (the white sappy stuff), and because of this are very prone to rot in the right conditions.
when you take a cutting (or cut off the rot bits) put it on a concrete patch somewhere about the garden to "dry out" for two weeks at least.
this allows the cut end to form a callous and therefore not allow rot in when you plant it.
good luck
and happy growing
Renay