Old 18-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Jim Caldwell

Default Plumeria cuttings have black rot....

I bought some plumeria cuttings last September, put them in a plastic bag on
a shelf in the garage. Looked at them today (mid-January) and three of them
have turned to black mush on the growing end, and they are are all showing
some black which I believe is probably mold. The three that are badly rotted
I threw away, but planted the others. They show some "black" but still have
some green healthy-looking tissue also. Will they still root and grow OK?
There were very hot days in the fall, and the winter has been very mild here
in S Texas. Do the cutting need to be kept cold and dry ?

Old 19-01-2004, 06:10 PM
J Kolenovsky

http://www.io.com/~jrm/plum007.htm - care instructions
http://www.io.com/~jrm/plumeria.html - all other instructions

Jim Caldwell wrote:
=

I bought some plumeria cuttings last September, put them in a plastic b=

ag on
a shelf in the garage. Looked at them today (mid-January) and three of =

them
have turned to black mush on the growing end, and they are are all show=

ing
some black which I believe is probably mold. The three that are badly r=

otted
I threw away, but planted the others. They show some "black" but still =

have
some green healthy-looking tissue also. Will they still root and grow O=

K?
There were very hot days in the fall, and the winter has been very mild=

here
in S Texas. Do the cutting need to be kept cold and dry ?

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

Old 08-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Registered User

Location: nowra, australia

[I bought some plumeria cuttings last September....., Do the cutting need to be kept cold and dry ? [/b][/quote]

hi there
my suggestion is to cut off any of the rot and keep trying. make sure you cut it well beyond where the rot stops.
with plumeria, they are full of latex (the white sappy stuff), and because of this are very prone to rot in the right conditions.
when you take a cutting (or cut off the rot bits) put it on a concrete patch somewhere about the garden to "dry out" for two weeks at least.
this allows the cut end to form a callous and therefore not allow rot in when you plant it.
good luck
and happy growing
Renay

[IMG] code is On

Dwarf Plumeria Plants Versus Compact Plumeria Plants BobWalsh Gardening 0 22-05-2012 07:18 PM
Staking Plumeria Cuttings and Plumeria Plants At Planting Time BobWalsh Gardening 0 15-05-2012 02:28 PM
Growing Plumeria Cuttings And Plumeria Plants With The Egg Method BobWalsh Gardening 0 08-07-2011 08:50 PM
rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
Too late in season for Plumeria cuttings? Jim Caldwell Gardening 1 08-02-2004 11:45 AM