GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Looking for Tropical Ideas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/50674-looking-tropical-ideas.html)

Jennifer 20-01-2004 09:03 PM

Looking for Tropical Ideas

I am in the process of re-landscaping my front yard. I live in
Florida and would like to have a tropical look and feel. Are there
any good books/resources for creating a tropical landscape?

Thanks

Jennifer

animaux 20-01-2004 10:02 PM

Looking for Tropical Ideas

On 20 Jan 2004 12:38:04 -0800, (Jennifer) opined:

I am in the process of re-landscaping my front yard. I live in
Florida and would like to have a tropical look and feel. Are there
any good books/resources for creating a tropical landscape?

Thanks

Jennifer

Have you done any searching anywhere? There are about ten billion books.

C 21-01-2004 12:32 AM

Looking for Tropical Ideas

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:38:04 -0800, Jennifer wrote:

I am in the process of re-landscaping my front yard. I live in Florida
and would like to have a tropical look and feel. Are there any good
books/resources for creating a tropical landscape?

Thanks

Jennifer

Best resource: a relaxing 2 weeks in Martinique or Costa Rica. Walk
through the rainforest of Dominica. All sorts of inspirations await you.

yvonne beach 23-01-2004 01:12 AM

Looking for Tropical Ideas

"Jennifer" wrote in message
om...
I am in the process of re-landscaping my front yard. I live in
Florida and would like to have a tropical look and feel. Are there
any good books/resources for creating a tropical landscape?

Thanks

Jennifer

1. Native Florida Plants by robert G. Haehle and Joan Brookwell (Gulf
Publishing)
2. The Florida Gardener's Book of Lists by Lois Trigg chaplin and Monica
Moran Brandies
3. Florida Wild Flowers and Roadside Plants by C. Ritchie Bell and Bryan
J. Taylor

Zemedelec 23-01-2004 04:06 PM

Looking for Tropical Ideas

And look at your neighbor's gardens--particularly when they're digging
something up. "Is that a transplant or is it going in the trash" has furnished
about 1/3 of the plants in my garden. Often these "passalong plants" are ones
you'd have a hard time finding in catalogs.
zemedelec

14-02-2004 07:02 PM

Looking for Tropical Ideas

Any of the books by Robert Haele are good common sense books. He also
writes a column in the Sun Sentinel newspaper which is very informative.

The best advice I can give is to use plants don't require a lot of water and
that have a lot of color, e.g. boganvillias, crotons, hibiscus, drawf crown
of thorns and of course the many varieties of palms. Do some research on
the different flowering trees also.

Make sure you know the types of plants that are invasive and that you don't
want in your landcaping such as ficus, (unless it's in a pot).

Florida gardening is so much fun and if you plant the right things, can be
pretty easy to take care of.

Barbara C.

om...