Old 20-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Jennifer

Default Looking for Tropical Ideas

I am in the process of re-landscaping my front yard. I live in
Florida and would like to have a tropical look and feel. Are there
any good books/resources for creating a tropical landscape?

Thanks

Jennifer

Old 21-01-2004, 12:32 AM

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:38:04 -0800, Jennifer wrote:

I am in the process of re-landscaping my front yard. I live in Florida
and would like to have a tropical look and feel. Are there any good
books/resources for creating a tropical landscape?

Thanks

Jennifer

Best resource: a relaxing 2 weeks in Martinique or Costa Rica. Walk
through the rainforest of Dominica. All sorts of inspirations await you.
Old 23-01-2004, 01:12 AM
yvonne beach

"Jennifer" wrote in message
om...
I am in the process of re-landscaping my front yard. I live in
Florida and would like to have a tropical look and feel. Are there
any good books/resources for creating a tropical landscape?

Thanks

Jennifer

1. Native Florida Plants by robert G. Haehle and Joan Brookwell (Gulf
Publishing)
2. The Florida Gardener's Book of Lists by Lois Trigg chaplin and Monica
Moran Brandies
3. Florida Wild Flowers and Roadside Plants by C. Ritchie Bell and Bryan
J. Taylor

Old 23-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Zemedelec

And look at your neighbor's gardens--particularly when they're digging
something up. "Is that a transplant or is it going in the trash" has furnished
about 1/3 of the plants in my garden. Often these "passalong plants" are ones
you'd have a hard time finding in catalogs.
zemedelec
Old 14-02-2004, 07:02 PM

Any of the books by Robert Haele are good common sense books. He also
writes a column in the Sun Sentinel newspaper which is very informative.

The best advice I can give is to use plants don't require a lot of water and
that have a lot of color, e.g. boganvillias, crotons, hibiscus, drawf crown
of thorns and of course the many varieties of palms. Do some research on
the different flowering trees also.

Make sure you know the types of plants that are invasive and that you don't
want in your landcaping such as ficus, (unless it's in a pot).

Florida gardening is so much fun and if you plant the right things, can be
pretty easy to take care of.

Barbara C.

om...