GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Q: Worms and Coffee Grounds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/51025-q-worms-coffee-grounds.html)

[email protected] 26-01-2004 06:08 PM

Q: Worms and Coffee Grounds

OK. So I understand that I can put coffee grounds in my worm bin.

My question is whether there is an upper limit to this. We drink a lot
of coffee and I would hate for the little critters to get hyper and
stampede.

So, can I just toss in the grounds from my coffee pot each day?

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Dwight Sipler 26-01-2004 06:36 PM

Q: Worms and Coffee Grounds

wrote:

OK. So I understand that I can put coffee grounds in my worm bin.

My question is whether there is an upper limit to this. We drink a lot
of coffee and I would hate for the little critters to get hyper and
stampede.

So, can I just toss in the grounds from my coffee pot each day?

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Kind of depends on how much coffee you drink and how large your worm bin
is. I wouldn't add coffee grounds that made up more than 5% of the
material added daily. My estimate, not based on any scientific
observation.

Tom J 26-01-2004 07:05 PM

Worms and Coffee Grounds

wrote in message
OK. So I understand that I can put coffee grounds in my worm bin.

My question is whether there is an upper limit to this. We drink a lot
of coffee and I would hate for the little critters to get hyper and
stampede.

So, can I just toss in the grounds from my coffee pot each day?

We don't use a bin, just loose soil with old planks on top outside the kitchen
window. We throw out edible table scraps, coffee grounds, egg shells, etc,
(no meat or bones) and from gathering worms to go trout fishing, I can tell
you where the worms are concentrated. That's where the coffee grounds land!!
YMMV
Tom J

Compostman 27-01-2004 02:07 AM

Q: Worms and Coffee Grounds

"Dwight Sipler" wrote in message

OK. So I understand that I can put coffee grounds in my worm bin.

My question is whether there is an upper limit to this. We drink a lot
of coffee and I would hate for the little critters to get hyper and
stampede.

So, can I just toss in the grounds from my coffee pot each day?

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Kind of depends on how much coffee you drink and how large your worm bin
is. I wouldn't add coffee grounds that made up more than 5% of the
material added daily. My estimate, not based on any scientific
observation.

Since we just giving opinions without a basis, I'll say don't use more than
100% coffee grounds. I also think worms like Indonesian coffee grounds more
than Latin American coffee grounds.

Or you could just try giving them your coffee grounds; the worms will let
you know how well you like it.
--
Compostman
Washington, DC

Pam - gardengal 27-01-2004 04:02 AM

Worms and Coffee Grounds

wrote in message
OK. So I understand that I can put coffee grounds in my worm bin.

My question is whether there is an upper limit to this. We drink a lot
of coffee and I would hate for the little critters to get hyper and
stampede.

So, can I just toss in the grounds from my coffee pot each day?

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Nothing that I have read about vermiculture indicates any specific
proportions of what edibles to provide - the whole point is to recycle
kitchen scraps/waste into a useful end product. However there is a rule of
thumb that determines how large a worm bin you should have based on the
amount of waste product you generate. Provided that ratio is maintained, I'd
go ahead and give them as many coffee grounds as you have available, but
provide any other kitchen scraps as well. I'd think a varied diet might
encourage increased productivity. But then again, all that caffeine might
just keep them up and running at full steam!

You could always apply any excess coffee grounds directly to the garden,
specially around acid loving plants.

You may find this helpful:
http://www.wormdigest.org/

Zemedelec 27-01-2004 02:34 PM

Worms and Coffee Grounds

My question is whether there is an upper limit to this. We drink a lot
of coffee and I would hate for the little critters to get hyper and
stampede.
BRBR

A worm stampede! But who would wrangle them back into the compost?
More seriously, if you gave them a lot too much you might kill them, if the
case of P. Lyautey, who wrote the original stories on which "La Boheme" is
based, was correctly reported. Supposedly died of blood poisoning/systemic
gangrene after a long regime of 40 cups of coffee a day.
zemedelec

Michelle 27-01-2004 05:42 PM

Worms and Coffee Grounds

On 27 Jan 2004 14:26:24 GMT, pamfree (Zemedelec)
wrote:

My question is whether there is an upper limit to this. We drink a lot
of coffee and I would hate for the little critters to get hyper and
stampede.
BRBR

A worm stampede! But who would wrangle them back into the compost?
More seriously, if you gave them a lot too much you might kill them, if the
case of P. Lyautey, who wrote the original stories on which "La Boheme" is
based, was correctly reported. Supposedly died of blood poisoning/systemic
gangrene after a long regime of 40 cups of coffee a day.
zemedelec

Wow that's a lot of coffee and I thought my husbands one pot a day at
breakfast was a lot
I think the worms from my own experience are ok if the previous
advice is followed just make sure there is lots of other goodies . I
used to keep worms in a bin for fishing and I had some monster worms
and great tomato compost too.
But NO meat or meat by products at all or dairy bad bad bad
don't want to add that stuff just veggies egg shells coffie grounds
and stuff and if memory serves me right I never found them in my
grass compost pile I guess it gets a little warm for the buggers

Starlord 27-01-2004 06:35 PM

Worms and Coffee Grounds

Two earthworms, Joe & Bill where peacefully chewing along one day when there
came a loude BANG and they where blown across the yard.

Joe says, "WOW, what was THAT?"

Bill "Oh, that was just John, he's been over in the coffee grounds again"

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop

[...]