Old 26-01-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Q: Worms and Coffee Grounds

OK. So I understand that I can put coffee grounds in my worm bin.

My question is whether there is an upper limit to this. We drink a lot
of coffee and I would hate for the little critters to get hyper and
stampede.

So, can I just toss in the grounds from my coffee pot each day?

Roy - Carpe Noctem
Old 26-01-2004, 07:05 PM
Tom J

Default Worms and Coffee Grounds

wrote in message
OK. So I understand that I can put coffee grounds in my worm bin.

My question is whether there is an upper limit to this. We drink a lot
of coffee and I would hate for the little critters to get hyper and
stampede.

So, can I just toss in the grounds from my coffee pot each day?

We don't use a bin, just loose soil with old planks on top outside the kitchen
window. We throw out edible table scraps, coffee grounds, egg shells, etc,
(no meat or bones) and from gathering worms to go trout fishing, I can tell
you where the worms are concentrated. That's where the coffee grounds land!!
YMMV
Tom J

Old 27-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Pam - gardengal

wrote in message
OK. So I understand that I can put coffee grounds in my worm bin.

My question is whether there is an upper limit to this. We drink a lot
of coffee and I would hate for the little critters to get hyper and
stampede.

So, can I just toss in the grounds from my coffee pot each day?

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Nothing that I have read about vermiculture indicates any specific
proportions of what edibles to provide - the whole point is to recycle
kitchen scraps/waste into a useful end product. However there is a rule of
thumb that determines how large a worm bin you should have based on the
amount of waste product you generate. Provided that ratio is maintained, I'd
go ahead and give them as many coffee grounds as you have available, but
provide any other kitchen scraps as well. I'd think a varied diet might
encourage increased productivity. But then again, all that caffeine might
just keep them up and running at full steam!

You could always apply any excess coffee grounds directly to the garden,
specially around acid loving plants.

You may find this helpful:
http://www.wormdigest.org/

Old 27-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Zemedelec

My question is whether there is an upper limit to this. We drink a lot
of coffee and I would hate for the little critters to get hyper and
stampede.
BRBR

A worm stampede! But who would wrangle them back into the compost?
More seriously, if you gave them a lot too much you might kill them, if the
case of P. Lyautey, who wrote the original stories on which "La Boheme" is
based, was correctly reported. Supposedly died of blood poisoning/systemic
gangrene after a long regime of 40 cups of coffee a day.
zemedelec
Old 27-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Starlord

Two earthworms, Joe & Bill where peacefully chewing along one day when there
came a loude BANG and they where blown across the yard.

Joe says, "WOW, what was THAT?"

Bill "Oh, that was just John, he's been over in the coffee grounds again"

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop

[...]