Old 28-01-2004, 02:12 AM
Alisa Keimel

Default Great Seed Website

I'm an avid gardener, and I've visited many seed retail sites
(Territorial, Harris, Parks, Stokes, Burpee, just to name a few) and I
did a search for "seeds" and came across "Johnny's Selected Seeds"
(http://www.johnnyseeds.com). I'm a home gardener, so I chose that
path (like Harris, they have 2 paths, one for home gardeners and one
for market growers). And they have *great* selections! They have
listings for their new items, for organic varieties, for heirloom
seeds (for seed savers), and they even have an "internet only"
category as well as a clearance section. Lots of different ways to
find seeds you want (the clearance area had lots of accessories,
gardening tools, books and the like).

Most varieties have cultural information that is available on the
product details pages (this is something none of the other sites seem
to do), and on some pages, like for Hybrid Sweet corn varieties, they
have links to additional information for growers! The site doesn't
just sell products, it teaches gardeners.

Some of their seed prices are a bit higher (not by much), but the
excellent information on their website and the quick checkout (I LOVE
that if I leave the checkout for any reason, it brings me back to
where I left off - I didn't have to start all over from the
beginning). They also have a free garden catalog to offer. I placed my
order happily. I laughed afterward. I had only planned to spend a
little time getting my favorite seeds, but I wound up spending a good
30 minutes on the site just reading information.

It's nice to know that if I have questions, I can simply go to their
website, find my variety, and look it up. I do wish they'd create a
resource library, so that getting to information was just one-click
away, but the fact that they have so much info available is terrific.
I placed my order with them, and I can't wait to see what happens.

Anyway, if any of you are also avid gardeners, and you'd like to check
them out- they are in Maine (where I am - and I also emailed them to
ask if they'd list specific cold-tolerant varieties...). The main
address is http://www.johnnyseeds.com. If you are a home gardener, the
URL it took me to was
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/index.html?ct=hg and the catalog
request (free to US, Canada and Mexico) was he
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/c...est.html?ct=hg (I guess the
hg = home gardener .

And when I emailed the webmaster with my suggestions (for cold
tolerant varieties and a more concise informational area, I received a
quick, polite reply. They just seem to *care*. In a world of hard
business these days, that makes a difference to me. Just thought I'd
share my great experience. Hope it helps you!

Alisa Keimel (excited all over again about gardening)
Old 28-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Bill Litchfield

"Alisa Keimel" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Johnny's is among the top 20 on the Garden watchdog list. see:
http://gardenwatchdog.com/

I buy several things from Johnny's each year. Other great outfits are
Pinetree, Territorial, Cooks Garden, and Baker Creek Heirloom. Happy
gardening!

Regards,
Bill

Old 28-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Dwight Sipler

As a market gardener, my main seed order goes to Johnny's. They're
reliable and responsive. My orders are filled quickly. They don't carry
all the varieties I like to grow, but they carry most of them.