Old 28-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Charles \Stretch\ Ledford

Default Need to Tidy Up

Greetings, all...

We have a lot of green foliage that never died back over the winter,
mostly from bulbs. We're just getting some new sprouts/blooms on
crocuses, etc., and I'm wondering if I can cut back the foliage from the
old plants in order to make the new blooms stand out, and to just
basically clean up the garden.

Thanks for your advice!

--
Charles "Stretch" Ledford
STRETCH PHOTOGRAPHY
Old 28-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Brian

As a total rule never remove green leaves from any plant, growing from
underground, that you wish to retain and flower again.

It is highly unlikely that the older leaves are from any of the bulbs or
crocuses making new growth.
Best Wishes.
"Charles "Stretch" Ledford" wrote in
message ...

Old 28-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Charles "Stretch" Ledford" wrote in
message ...
Greetings, all...

We have a lot of green foliage that never died back over the winter,
mostly from bulbs. We're just getting some new sprouts/blooms on
crocuses, etc., and I'm wondering if I can cut back the foliage from the
old plants in order to make the new blooms stand out, and to just
basically clean up the garden.

Foliage from spring blooming bulbs like crocus, narcissus and tulips should
be allowed to remain on the plant and ripen and dry before being removed.
Unsightly, yes, but necessary to return nutrients back into the bulbs to
generate next season's flowers. The foliage of other plants - typically
perennials and summer or fall flowering bulbs - can be cleaned up at this
time of year, but don't get carried away. Some will retain foliage through
winter for added cold protection and others often generate a basal show of
foliage that is an early start on the new growing season. Best just to
remove foliage that is obviously dead or otherwise disfigured from the
winter and leave the rest.

pam - gardengal

[IMG] code is On

Nomess Tidy aid Nomess United Kingdom 1 20-12-2007 07:49 AM
Don't tidy your garden 'Mike' United Kingdom 0 14-02-2007 02:15 PM
upgrading a swimming hole in a creek I need need info mark delaporte Ponds 8 17-07-2003 09:22 PM
upgrading a swimming hole in a creek I need need info mark delaporte Ponds 0 17-07-2003 04:28 PM
Need desperate help - need to find Seed Aide mulching granules ASAP!!! BillC Gardening 0 06-04-2003 07:08 AM