GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Seeds stil viable from frozen tomatoes? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/54416-seeds-stil-viable-frozen-tomatoes.html)

DigitalVinyl 04-03-2004 12:02 AM

Seeds stil viable from frozen tomatoes?

I found a few frozen tomatoes from last year's garden at the back of
my freezer. Assuming the original plants produced viable seeds, would
they still be good after being frozen. I would assume so, since seeds
freeze outside (just not as long as these did, 7 months).

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

zxcvbob 04-03-2004 06:12 AM

DigitalVinyl wrote:
I found a few frozen tomatoes from last year's garden at the back of
my freezer. Assuming the original plants produced viable seeds, would
they still be good after being frozen. I would assume so, since seeds
freeze outside (just not as long as these did, 7 months).

They should still be viable, unless you cooked them before you froze 'em.
I don't think the dip in boiling water to peel them will hurt the seeds much.

-Bob

DigitalVinyl 04-03-2004 03:12 PM

zxcvbob wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:
I found a few frozen tomatoes from last year's garden at the back of
my freezer. Assuming the original plants produced viable seeds, would
they still be good after being frozen. I would assume so, since seeds
freeze outside (just not as long as these did, 7 months).

They should still be viable, unless you cooked them before you froze 'em.
I don't think the dip in boiling water to peel them will hurt the seeds much.

-Bob

Nope they weren't cooked, just surplus. The tomatoes just produced
more than I could eat at some point in july-aug and I figured freeze
some for sauce later. I just forgot these few were left.

I've planted them as started and soaked a few to test for germination.
So far (60 hours) none are sprouting.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener