Old 04-03-2004, 12:02 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default Seeds stil viable from frozen tomatoes?

I found a few frozen tomatoes from last year's garden at the back of
my freezer. Assuming the original plants produced viable seeds, would
they still be good after being frozen. I would assume so, since seeds
freeze outside (just not as long as these did, 7 months).

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 04-03-2004, 06:12 AM
zxcvbob

DigitalVinyl wrote:
I found a few frozen tomatoes from last year's garden at the back of
my freezer. Assuming the original plants produced viable seeds, would
they still be good after being frozen. I would assume so, since seeds
freeze outside (just not as long as these did, 7 months).

They should still be viable, unless you cooked them before you froze 'em.
I don't think the dip in boiling water to peel them will hurt the seeds much.

-Bob
Old 04-03-2004, 03:12 PM
DigitalVinyl

zxcvbob wrote:

DigitalVinyl wrote:
I found a few frozen tomatoes from last year's garden at the back of
my freezer. Assuming the original plants produced viable seeds, would
they still be good after being frozen. I would assume so, since seeds
freeze outside (just not as long as these did, 7 months).

They should still be viable, unless you cooked them before you froze 'em.
I don't think the dip in boiling water to peel them will hurt the seeds much.

-Bob

Nope they weren't cooked, just surplus. The tomatoes just produced
more than I could eat at some point in july-aug and I figured freeze
some for sauce later. I just forgot these few were left.

I've planted them as started and soaked a few to test for germination.
So far (60 hours) none are sprouting.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

[IMG] code is On

Are vanilla bean seeds viable? zxcvbob Orchids 4 15-07-2012 09:25 PM
FS: Stil br420 SH North Carolina 0 09-07-2003 07:23 PM
Last year's seeds still viable? Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. Gardening 3 13-05-2003 06:44 PM
snapdragon seeds not viable Tom Elliott Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Dried Lima Beans not Viable for Planting lagniappe Gardening 3 26-03-2003 03:32 PM