GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Groundhogs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/54864-groundhogs.html)

Suja 10-03-2004 08:29 PM

Groundhogs

Stephen M. Henning wrote:

If a child wanders between a groundhog and its den, the groundhog will
attack the child to get to its hole. I know, one attacked me. You would
never guess how vicious they turn when they think they are cornered.

I've heard that from a friend of mine who was attacked by one as a
child. Don't have any kids here, and if any of the groundhogs are
stupid enough to attack my dogs, they deserve to be eliminated from the
gene pool.

Suja

Stephen M. Henning 14-03-2004 03:46 PM

Groundhogs

Suja wrote:

Although I am no fan of Groundhogs, I've got to say that they've never
actually hurt anything. They're happy to nosh on the lawn (clover or
other weeds, I guess) and haven't touched anything I've planted. The
deer, OTOH....

If a child wanders between a groundhog and its den, the groundhog will
attack the child to get to its hole. I know, one attacked me. You would
never guess how vicious they turn when they think they are cornered.

I will not tolerate any goundhog in our yard area. If they stay in the
woods, that is OK, but not around where kids play.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Cereus-validus 15-03-2004 12:02 AM

Groundhogs

Mmmmm!

Woodchuck chili sounds mighty tasty!

Do you have a recipe?

Can you substitute rabbit for woodchuck?

"Mike Davis" wrote in message
Any experience with driving away groundhogs (aka woodchucks, whistlepigs,
etc.) from the garden area. I'm moving into a house where the former

garden
tract has become home for a fat and feisty furball.

My previous experience has been to live trap the little monsters and

toddle
a few miles down the road to unfarmed areas and release em. If there's
another way to get rid of them (the wife is definitely not in favor of my
initial suggestion of woodchuck chili), I'd appreciate your guidance.

Regards,
Mike D.