Old 15-03-2004, 07:47 PM
SRR

Default Morning Glories

I am about to make my first foray into Morning Glories. The seed
packet says they can be directly seeded, if they put in warm water
overnight. I'm assuming this means start them out in warm water and
let them stay at room temperature the rest of the night.

Also, since MG's are a vine: should I plant the seeds 5 feet apart, 10
feet apart, one seed for every 10 feet of fence, what?

Thanks,

SRR
Old 15-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Sandy

I grow Morning Glories every year. They're a great annual vine. Room
temperature water is fine. You can make a tiny nick on each seed with a
paring knife(watch the fingers!),which will speed germination, before
putting the seeds in water. Plant in a sunny spot. You can plant a few seeds
every 3 ft or so,some seeds may not sprout,which is normal. Once they start
growing,watch out! They will cover your fence in no time! Give them
occasional help by twining them around the fence in the direction you want
them to climb. Sandy

Old 15-03-2004, 11:23 PM
David Hill

"........I am about to make my first foray into Morning Glories. The seed
packet says they can be directly seeded, if they put in warm water
overnight. I'm assuming this means start them out in warm water and let them
stay at room temperature the rest of the night.........."

I find with hard coated seed that if you put them into hot water that you
can only just put your hand into, and leave them there till the water goes
cold then they will have taken up sufficient water to start growth.
What happens is that the hot water expands the air inside the seed coat (if
you look closely you will see small bubbles) then as the water cools then
the remaining air contracts and draws in water.
With very heavy seed coat or shell then I use almost boiling water.
If you have seed that is floating after one dose of this then a second go
with slightly hotter water normally works.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 15-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Starlord

I put my MG seeds into warm water and let them soak all day and night
and plant the next afternoon. Right now I've got some Japanese MG's
soaking for planting.

Old 16-03-2004, 06:02 AM
Sandy

Japanese MGs? Do they look different from the usual MG vines? Is the
flowering habit any different? Sandy

Old 16-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Starlord

While one type looks kinda like they do here, they have been breeding
MG's and even have a SHOW for them!, I've got a package of a vaiggated
MG soaking right now. And since I don't read Japanese, I'm treating
them just as I do other MG's. If they do grow ( MG's love the High
Mojave Desert ), I'll save seeds from them.

--
Dragons Must Fly when Thread's in the Sky

www.starlords.org

Old 16-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Sandy

Good luck with your Japanese MGs. Did you order them online? If so, where.
Thanks, Sandy

Old 17-03-2004, 12:07 AM
Sandy

Old 17-03-2004, 12:24 AM
Sandy

Old 17-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Starlord

I got'm from a lady who had posted on one of the e-lists I'm on. I'm
sending her some of my Waianae Lavender MG's seeds. I've had them
soaking two days and I'm seeing roots starting to poke out, so got to
get them planted today.