Old 20-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Luca

Default Clematis montana - Pruning after planting

I have just planted two Clematis montana: an 'Elizabeth' and a
'Rubens'. One can never have enough Clematis plants...

The tags on the first 2 plants suggest pruning for the 1st year to
30cm (12") from the ground. I wonder if this 'radical' pruning is
really necessary.

I live in zone 6b (Vancouver area)

TIA,
Luca
Old 20-03-2004, 03:55 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Luca" me@home wrote in message
I have just planted two Clematis montana: an 'Elizabeth' and a
'Rubens'. One can never have enough Clematis plants...

The tags on the first 2 plants suggest pruning for the 1st year to
30cm (12") from the ground. I wonder if this 'radical' pruning is
really necessary.

I live in zone 6b (Vancouver area)

That's after one season in the ground, not immediately after planting.
While it's not quite as necessary with some of the species clematis as it
is with the large flowering hybrids, it does produce a stronger root system
and a healthier, more vigorous vine. And yes, one can never have too many
clematis.

pam - gardengal

Old 21-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Luca

Thanks for the clarification... I am glad I did not start cutting
right away. :-) Would Lonicera (belgica and brownii) vines benefit
from the same treatment? Also, what is the best time to do that.

Luca

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 03:39:39 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

.. .