Old 27-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Cereus-validus

Default What plant is this

What exactly does the word "trumpet" mean on your planet?

In botanical parlance, it refers to the flower or leaf being a very elongate
funnel shape. (That kind of begs the question "what does a funnel look
like", doesn't it?)

(Which plants have trumpet-shaped leaves, you may ask. Some species and
hybrids of Sarracenia, of course.)

Forget the color. Those Epimedium flowers superficially resemble those of a
columbine and they are not at all "trumpet-shaped" in any sense of the word.

"WmJBkr" wrote in message
Cereus wrote:
Since when do Epimediums have purple trumpet shaped flowers?

"WmJBkr" wrote in message
GoldLexus wrote:

It is a ground cover, has leaves like Ivy, in the Spring it has
purple trumpet shaped flowers.
I have some growing under a Pine tree but have bare spots and
would like to fill in those bare spots with more of this ground cover.
I just don't know what it is.

One of the Epimediums, perhaps?

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...nt/page29.html

Epimediums are certainly available in "purple":

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog...ail/03518.html

...and while not literally trumpet-shaped, the flowers might give that
impression if not examined closely. Considering the vagueness of the
description, I suppose my guess is as good as yours... had you ventured

one.

Old 27-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Cereus-validus

If you want to make wild guesses, it could be anything.

How about saying its a flaming farkle fern from Fredonia?

Old 27-03-2004, 07:37 PM
David Hill

".............How about saying its a flaming farkle fern from Fredonia?
...."

But surely the farkle fern has RED flowers

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 28-03-2004, 07:32 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"GoldLexus" in news:VYq8c.2084$Hm4.1338
@nwrddc03.gnilink.net:

It is a ground cover, has leaves like Ivy, in the Spring it has
purple trumpet shaped flowers.
I have some growing under a Pine tree but have bare spots and
would like to fill in those bare spots with more of this ground cover.
I just don't know what it is.

as other said, we could use more info

long flowers. maybe lamiaceae or scrophulariaceae.

glechoma is 'weedy' but it has overall round leaves, not ivy shaped.

http://images.google.com/images?sour...nt&q=glechoma+

Old 28-03-2004, 10:42 AM
David Hill

You must be trying to describe Vinca
http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictu...inca-major.htm

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 28-03-2004, 05:02 PM
WmJBkr

Cereusly-vainglorious wrote:

If you want to make wild guesses, it could be anything.

How about saying its a flaming farkle fern from Fredonia?

If you want to make wild guesses, how about saying it's Vinca minor? and then
deriding the OP for a "way off" description of the "leaves like ivy".

Fashizzle *youself*.

Old 28-03-2004, 06:32 PM
WmJBkr

Cereusly-vacuous wrote:

What exactly does the word "trumpet" mean on your planet?

In botanical parlance, it refers to the flower or leaf being a very elongate
funnel shape.

Yeah, sorta like those elongate Vinca minor flowers?

Which plants have trumpet-shaped leaves, you may ask.

Why would I ask such a stupid question? You're cereusly vegetative.

Forget the color. Those Epimedium flowers superficially resemble those of a
columbine and they are not at all "trumpet-shaped" in any sense of the word.

Forget the color. Those Vinca minor leaves are not at all like ivy leaves in
any sense of the phrase.

Cereusly.... vamoose.

Old 29-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Cereus-validus

Since GoldLexus is the one who originally asked the question and not you,
anything you say isn't worth a rat's fart, you scab sucking troll. You don't
know anything more about the mystery plant than does a cow turd.

You have succeeded in scaring GoldLexus away and now we will never know what
the plant really was. You really must be proud of yourself, you demented
asswipe.

Old 29-03-2004, 03:12 AM
GoldLexus

Okay, my description of the flower was a bit off, now that the flowers are
open they look like those in the link. It looks like I have a mixture of Ivy
AND Vinca major together. At closer inspection I can see a different type of
leaves amongst the Ivy and they look like the leaves in the link you gave.
Now I know what I have here how on earth do I get rid of the Ivy and just
have the Vinca? The Ivy seems to be choking the Vinca at least that is how
it appears.

Old 29-03-2004, 04:02 AM
Cereus-validus

You will need to yank out all the ivy by hand.

It will take some time to get it all out.

Be sure to wear gloves when you do it.

Old 31-03-2004, 01:50 AM
WmJBkr

Cillyass valetudinarian wrote:

Since GoldLexus is the one who originally asked the question and not you,
anything you say isn't worth a rat's fart, you scab sucking troll. You don't
know anything more about the mystery plant than does a cow turd.

You have succeeded in scaring GoldLexus away and now we will never know what
the plant really was. You really must be proud of yourself, you demented
asswipe.

The identity of the original questioner has nothing to do with what I have
said, except for my original plant suggestion to which you took such offense.
If you learned to think logically, you might not waste so much time and space
here with your juvenile rants.

If anyone were to have scared GoldLexus away, it would have been you, with your
snotty original reply that his description was "way off" from the
characteristics of your plant-guess. Obviously (with his post yesterday)
though, *I* didn't scare him off; and all my subsequent replies in this thread
were addressed to *you* in particular, in response to your attacks, which were
worded as to suggest I'd personally offended you with my
off-the-top-of-the-head plant suggestion.

Who else that might have made a suggestion was scared off from making one after
reading *your* response?

I've been reading this group long enough (years) that I know who and what you
are. I won't be intimidated by an immature, insecure bully such as you, even
one as knowledgeable as I suppose you are. Wisdom, in my humble opinion, is
comprised of both knowledge *and* compassion, a trait that many of your
self-important and condescending posts seem to indicate you lack.

Finally, are those the best insults you could come up with???
hahahahahaha

Hey, is your handle "Cereus" because you're such a prick?

I win! ;-)