Old 26-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Fleemo

Default Ok to Dig Up Spring Bulbs?

For the first time last fall, I planted one of my raised beds (that
normally contain vegetables) with spring bulbs like ranunculus,
crocus, iris, and freesia. I'd like to see them bloom again next
year, but don't want them to hog the raised bed space all summer. Can
I dig them up at some point after their foliage fades and plant summer
crops, returning the bulbs to the ground next fall? Or must they
hibernate in the same spot all year if I want to see them next spring?
Old 26-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Brian

None that you mentioned is actually a bulb but all can be lifted when the
leaves become yellow and replanted in the autumn.
An alternative would be to leave them where they are, and plant over them,
if the soil doesn't need digging.
With genuine bulbs {daffodils} I have seen them very successfully planted
so deeply that normal cultivation didn't affect them. They flourished and
seemed just about a week later flowering than others.
Best Wishes
om...

Old 27-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Fleemo

None that you mentioned is actually a bulb but all can be lifted when the
leaves become yellow and replanted in the autumn.
An alternative would be to leave them where they are, and plant over them,
if the soil doesn't need digging.
With genuine bulbs {daffodils} I have seen them very successfully planted
so deeply that normal cultivation didn't affect them. They flourished and
seemed just about a week later flowering than others.
Best Wishes

Thanks for the input, Brian. I appreciate it.

-F