Old 26-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Charles \Stretch\ Ledford

Default Iris No Bloom

Greetings, all...

Can anyone tell me why Iris bulbs planted in the fall of the year here
in Richmond, VA, might not bloom in the Spring? They came up and had a
lot of nice foliage, but no blooms last year.

They're up again this spring, with a lot of foliage. I'm just hoping
they bloom this year.

Thanks in advance!

--
Charles "Stretch" Ledford
STRETCH PHOTOGRAPHY
Old 27-03-2004, 12:04 AM
Marcy Hege

Bearded iris prefer a shallow planting depth for the rhizomes so planting too
deep could be your problem.

Dutch iris bulbs may have been too immature and need a couple of years growth
before producing flowers.

Lack of adequate sun is commonly the cause of many plants failure to bloom.

Too much nitrogen may cause lush green growth at the expense of blooms.

Just a couple of possibilities.
Old 27-03-2004, 12:04 AM
paghat

In article ,
"Charles \"Stretch\" Ledford"
wrote:

Greetings, all...

Can anyone tell me why Iris bulbs planted in the fall of the year here
in Richmond, VA, might not bloom in the Spring? They came up and had a
lot of nice foliage, but no blooms last year.

They're up again this spring, with a lot of foliage. I'm just hoping
they bloom this year.

Thanks in advance!

You say "bulbs" so I'm not sure what you planted. If they were Iris
reticulata corms, then they certainly should've bloomed last year & this
year, late winter or early spring. If they were Iris danfordea corms, that
one skips blooming a year now & then, though it doesn't usually skip the
first spring after autumn planting. These are dwarf irises. I would assume
you meant regular large irises, except those aren't bulbs or corms, &
they're not expected to bloom this early in in the year. If that's what
you planted though, the big thick roots can be shocked by being
transplanted, divided, dried, stored, shipped, screwed with in anyway,
despite that it is necessary to divide them every few years even so. After
being mucked with they very often skip a year blooming & work on
re-settling their roots only. They'll probably bloom their second year
fine, but the bloom time would likely be May. Foliage appears way ahead of
blooms, & lasts a while after. Not all irises are equally reliable, & some
won't bloom if there's too much shade. If you have some other kind of
bulbous iris I am not considering, I haven't another guess. Things like
evergreen gladwyn iris if planted as seeds or seedlings won't bloom for a
few years & that's totally normal.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 27-03-2004, 06:02 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"Charles \"Stretch\" Ledford" in
:

Greetings, all...

Can anyone tell me why Iris bulbs planted in the fall of the year here
in Richmond, VA, might not bloom in the Spring? They came up and had a
lot of nice foliage, but no blooms last year.

probably "dutch iris"?

They're up again this spring, with a lot of foliage. I'm just hoping
they bloom this year.

i have no idea why no bloom