GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What's a good evergreen screen? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/57290-whats-good-evergreen-screen.html)

Heavenly Scent 30-03-2004 02:32 PM

What's a good evergreen screen?

Hello,
I am looking for a good evergreen screen for Zone 3. I really like the
look of the Leyland Cypress but am unsure if it would stand up in our zone.
Any ideas?

Tracy

William Wagner 30-03-2004 04:02 PM

What's a good evergreen screen?

In article ,
"Heavenly Scent" wrote:

Hello,
I am looking for a good evergreen screen for Zone 3. I really like the
look of the Leyland Cypress but am unsure if it would stand up in our zone.
Any ideas?

Tracy

Here in Zone 5 New Jersey we have found Japanese Holly useful. Slow
grower though. Hint move them every few years and the roots will yield
young plants. Bird friendly too.

Bill

David J Bockman 30-03-2004 04:12 PM

What's a good evergreen screen?

No, Leylands are only hardy to zone 6 as I recall. What are the conditions
of the site where you'll be planting?

Dave

Father Haskell 01-04-2004 07:41 AM

Heavenly Scent wrote:

Hello,
I am looking for a good evergreen screen for Zone 3. I really like the
look of the Leyland Cypress but am unsure if it would stand up in our zone.
Any ideas?

Bamboo. Most are "evergreen," though not specifically conifers.