Old 01-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Grasshopper

Default Grass Recommendation

I live in Gardner, KS ( just outside Kansas City ) and have dog in the
backyard. I'd like to put down a tough grass that will be easy to take
care of. I have thought about zoysia and bermuda but don't know enough
to decide on either one. I hear bermuda takes a short time to spread
but you'll never get rid of it. That could be a problem for the
neighbors or something like that. Zoysia requires dethatching, so I
hear. Both shouldn't be cut with a regular gas mower. I'd like it so
my yard evens out ( no clumps ), is strong enough for the dog to run
all over it, easy to take care of, and hopefully green most of the
time. I have a 6' privacy fence all the way around it, but that's
about the only shade part of the yard gets. Any help would be greatly
appeciated. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Sunflower

"Grasshopper" wrote in message
om...
I live in Gardner, KS ( just outside Kansas City ) and have dog in the
backyard. I'd like to put down a tough grass that will be easy to take
care of. I have thought about zoysia and bermuda but don't know enough
to decide on either one. I hear bermuda takes a short time to spread
but you'll never get rid of it. That could be a problem for the
neighbors or something like that. Zoysia requires dethatching, so I
hear. Both shouldn't be cut with a regular gas mower. I'd like it so
my yard evens out ( no clumps ), is strong enough for the dog to run
all over it, easy to take care of, and hopefully green most of the
time. I have a 6' privacy fence all the way around it, but that's
about the only shade part of the yard gets. Any help would be greatly
appeciated. Thanks.

If you want grass in the back yard, bring the dog in the house and don't let
him out unsupervised. Bored dogs left in the backyard with little human
interaction dig and run paths through turf. A well exercised and trained
dog kept in the house will do his call of nature and come back inside.
You'll still have to pooperscoop, but you can grow whatever kind of grass
you want. Bermuda is a warm climate grass and isn't really suitable below
zone 7.