Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 PM
zxcvbob

Default Pressure treated wood -- ACQ?

I was looking at lumber for building raised beds in my garden. I was
planning to use untreated 2x6's for the sides and ends, and pressure
treated 2x4 stakes in the corners and joints. (I would use creosoted 2x4's
if I could find them.) I live far enough north that I don't have to worry
about termites.

Home Depot has some new pressure treated lumber that's supposed to be
non-toxic; it's treated with ACQ instead of CCA. "Alkaline copper
quaternary." Has anyone heard of it? I haven't bought anything yet until
I do some research.

-Bob
Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 PM
hollenback

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I was looking at lumber for building raised beds in my garden. I was
planning to use untreated 2x6's for the sides and ends, and pressure
treated 2x4 stakes in the corners and joints. (I would use creosoted

2x4's
if I could find them.) I live far enough north that I don't have to worry
about termites.

Home Depot has some new pressure treated lumber that's supposed to be
non-toxic; it's treated with ACQ instead of CCA. "Alkaline copper
quaternary." Has anyone heard of it? I haven't bought anything yet

until
I do some research.

-Bob

Bob
Things you should be aware of with the new ACQ lumber.
1. There are different grades of it. You should be looking for wood labeled
for ground contact.
2. The copper will corrode galvanized or zinc plated screws and nails. If
you expect it to last you will need stainless steel hardware or at least
double dipped galvanized.

Does anyone here know at what level copper is toxic to plants?

Boron treated lumber is another alternative but in high levels boron is also
toxic to plants.

Personally with all I have heard about the new PT lumber I will wait until
more is known about them.

Bill

Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 PM
zxcvbob

hollenback wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

[...]

I was planning to use bright 16d nails. I don't care if the stain, and it
should take a *long* time to rust through a 16d nail.

Does anyone here know at what level copper is toxic to plants?

The copper level shouldn't as high as the bordeaux mixture or copper oleate
fungicide sprays.

Boron treated lumber is another alternative but in high levels boron is also
toxic to plants.

Personally with all I have heard about the new PT lumber I will wait until
more is known about them.

Bill

Best regards,
Bob
Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Stephen M. Henning

zxcvbob wrote:

Home Depot has some new pressure treated lumber that's supposed to be
non-toxic; it's treated with ACQ instead of CCA. "Alkaline copper
quaternary." Has anyone heard of it?

Greenhouses have been using 20% copper-naphthenate preservative on
greenhouse benches for decades with no problems. Cuprinol is one
brandname for this product. The copper is no problem. I don't know
anything about ACQ.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman