GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Stop a Castor from seeding? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/58412-stop-castor-seeding.html)

Brandon 08-04-2004 01:04 AM

Stop a Castor from seeding?

I have a very nice Castor bean plant growing in my backyard. the trunk is
7-8 inches in diameter. As with all Castors it develops the seed pods,
which I normally cut off before they have a chance to dry and open.
It occurred to me that I have heard that there may be a way to stop some
plants from fruiting or going to seed somehow( some sort of hormone?) Can
this be dome with a Castor bean plant?

Thanks
Brandon

Darren Garrison 08-04-2004 01:04 AM

Stop a Castor from seeding?

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:48:08 -0700, "Brandon" wrote:

I have a very nice Castor bean plant growing in my backyard. the trunk is
7-8 inches in diameter. As with all Castors it develops the seed pods,
which I normally cut off before they have a chance to dry and open.
It occurred to me that I have heard that there may be a way to stop some
plants from fruiting or going to seed somehow( some sort of hormone?) Can
this be dome with a Castor bean plant?

Why not just pinch off the flowers?

Brandon 08-04-2004 11:02 PM

Stop a Castor from seeding?

wrote:

I have a very nice Castor bean plant growing in my backyard. the trunk

is
7-8 inches in diameter. As with all Castors it develops the seed pods,
which I normally cut off before they have a chance to dry and open.
It occurred to me that I have heard that there may be a way to stop some
plants from fruiting or going to seed somehow( some sort of hormone?) Can
this be dome with a Castor bean plant?

Why not just pinch off the flowers?

I do, the issue being that many of the flowers are beyond my reach without
some very complicated balancing on top of a ladder with an extended cutting
tool.

Darren Garrison 09-04-2004 02:02 AM

Stop a Castor from seeding?

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 14:36:54 -0700, "Brandon" wrote:

Why not just pinch off the flowers?

I do, the issue being that many of the flowers are beyond my reach without
some very complicated balancing on top of a ladder with an extended cutting
tool.

Oh, I see. In that case, maybe one of these solutions will work for you.

http://www.flying-contraptions.com/

http://www.spacekids.com/spacenews/jetpack_000814.html

Father Haskell 09-04-2004 04:02 AM

Stop a Castor from seeding?

Brandon wrote:

It occurred to me that I have heard that there may be a way to stop
some plants from fruiting or going to seed somehow

Nitrogen.

Brandon 09-04-2004 09:32 PM

Stop a Castor from seeding?

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
Brandon wrote:

It occurred to me that I have heard that there may be a way to stop
some plants from fruiting or going to seed somehow

Nitrogen.

Ok, that is a start, in what quantities?
Thanks

Zemedelec 09-04-2004 09:32 PM

Stop a Castor from seeding?

Subject: Stop a Castor from seeding?
From: "Brandon" hefish BRBR

Castorate it.
zemedelec

Brandon 10-04-2004 12:02 PM

Stop a Castor from seeding?

From: "Brandon" hefish BRBR

Castorate it.
zemedelec

THAT was funny !

Father Haskell 11-04-2004 02:02 AM

Stop a Castor from seeding?

Brandon wrote:

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
..
Brandon wrote:

It occurred to me that I have heard that there may be a way to stop
some plants from fruiting or going to seed somehow

Nitrogen.

Ok, that is a start, in what quantities?
Thanks

Not much. A handful of the cheapest brand of lawn food you can find,
every three months or as needed, should work.

Brandon 14-04-2004 08:02 AM

Stop a Castor from seeding?

Brandon wrote:

It occurred to me that I have heard that there may be a way to stop
some plants from fruiting or going to seed somehow

Nitrogen.

Ok, that is a start, in what quantities?
Thanks

Not much. A handful of the cheapest brand of lawn food you can find,
every three months or as needed, should work.

Thats it?
Thanks
Brandon