Old 08-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Brandon

Default Stop a Castor from seeding?

I have a very nice Castor bean plant growing in my backyard. the trunk is
7-8 inches in diameter. As with all Castors it develops the seed pods,
which I normally cut off before they have a chance to dry and open.
It occurred to me that I have heard that there may be a way to stop some
plants from fruiting or going to seed somehow( some sort of hormone?) Can
this be dome with a Castor bean plant?

Thanks
Brandon

Old 08-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Darren Garrison

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:48:08 -0700, "Brandon" wrote:

I have a very nice Castor bean plant growing in my backyard. the trunk is
7-8 inches in diameter. As with all Castors it develops the seed pods,
which I normally cut off before they have a chance to dry and open.
It occurred to me that I have heard that there may be a way to stop some
plants from fruiting or going to seed somehow( some sort of hormone?) Can
this be dome with a Castor bean plant?

Why not just pinch off the flowers?

Old 08-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Brandon

wrote:

I have a very nice Castor bean plant growing in my backyard. the trunk

is
7-8 inches in diameter. As with all Castors it develops the seed pods,
which I normally cut off before they have a chance to dry and open.
It occurred to me that I have heard that there may be a way to stop some
plants from fruiting or going to seed somehow( some sort of hormone?) Can
this be dome with a Castor bean plant?

Why not just pinch off the flowers?

I do, the issue being that many of the flowers are beyond my reach without
some very complicated balancing on top of a ladder with an extended cutting
tool.

Old 09-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Darren Garrison

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 14:36:54 -0700, "Brandon" wrote:

Why not just pinch off the flowers?

I do, the issue being that many of the flowers are beyond my reach without
some very complicated balancing on top of a ladder with an extended cutting
tool.

Oh, I see. In that case, maybe one of these solutions will work for you.

http://www.flying-contraptions.com/

http://www.spacekids.com/spacenews/jetpack_000814.html

Old 09-04-2004, 04:02 AM
Father Haskell

Brandon wrote:

It occurred to me that I have heard that there may be a way to stop
some plants from fruiting or going to seed somehow

Nitrogen.

Old 09-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Brandon

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
Brandon wrote:

It occurred to me that I have heard that there may be a way to stop
some plants from fruiting or going to seed somehow

Nitrogen.

Ok, that is a start, in what quantities?
Thanks

Old 09-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Zemedelec

Subject: Stop a Castor from seeding?
From: "Brandon" hefish BRBR

Castorate it.
zemedelec
Old 10-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Brandon

From: "Brandon" hefish BRBR

Castorate it.
zemedelec

THAT was funny !

Old 11-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Father Haskell

Brandon wrote:

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
..
Brandon wrote:

It occurred to me that I have heard that there may be a way to stop
some plants from fruiting or going to seed somehow

Nitrogen.

Ok, that is a start, in what quantities?
Thanks

Not much. A handful of the cheapest brand of lawn food you can find,
every three months or as needed, should work.
Old 14-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Brandon

Brandon wrote:

It occurred to me that I have heard that there may be a way to stop
some plants from fruiting or going to seed somehow

Nitrogen.

Ok, that is a start, in what quantities?
Thanks

Not much. A handful of the cheapest brand of lawn food you can find,
every three months or as needed, should work.

Thats it?
Thanks
Brandon