Old 10-04-2004, 03:02 AM
Tom Lucht

Default japanese maple threatened by yellow fungus?

Can anybody look at this picture and tell me if my japanese maple is
in trouble, and if so, what I can do to help it?

See picture he http://www.tomlucht.com/public/pics/...ellow-moss.jpg

It was doing well last summer, our first summer in this house. This
spring I noticed the leaves are very slow coming back, and others in
the neighborhood are much further along. A closer inspection revealed
that many of the branches have a yellow moss or fungus, in clumps at
the ends and at the joints. On some branches, leaves are coming out
(but sickly), but no leaves at all on the branches with the yellow
stuff.

Is this something I should be worried about? What should I do?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 10-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Mike LaMana

Be thankful it there! These are lichens growing on your tree as a substrate
only. Like lichens on a rock, they get all of their nutrition from rainwater
and simply need a place to grow. They pocked your tree.

This means that the air where you live is not very polluted

Your maple is slow in leafing out for others reasons TBD.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

om...

Old 10-04-2004, 10:04 PM
V_coerulea

It does appear to be some sort of lichen. They're not parasites but usually
saprophytes meaning than they most frequently grow on dead wood, bark, etc.
The branch may have been winter-killed and the lichen is being an
opportunist. If it's a fungus, it's not one I'm familiar with, which
wouldn't be a tremendous surprise. On one small, expendable twig, scratch
through the gray bark with your fingernail (or knife). If there's some green
even just around the edges, you're ok. If all there is is brown, that twig's
gone. You can repeat this back to where you see green and prune early, or
just wait until things leaf out and then prune out the dead stuff. Here in
southern South Carolina, the new leaves on the Japanese maples are in their
prime for spring color.
Gary

om...

Old 11-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Mike LaMana

Lichens are to the best of my knowledge not saprophytes - i.e. they derive
no nutrition from the substrate to which they attach. They are merely
looking for a place to live. It is interesting that some lichens will only
attach to certain species or types of rock etc. This probably derives from
chemical signatures in the substrate materials.

--

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
[...]

om...

Old 11-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Zemedelec

I don't know about your maple, but your palm seems to show a long life line.
zemedelec