Old 13-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Jennifer

Default Planting dahlias in a garden with a plastic liner

I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and has had any success.
I am setting up a dahlia garden 8 x 16 in a spot which used to have
grass. I am digging out the grass and going down about two feet. In
order to retain water I was going to line the bottom with plastic, cut
holes for drainage and then fill up the area with dirt. My two
concerns are, is 2 feet deep enough for a dahlia and even with holes
in the bottom do I run the risk of having the dahlia tubers rot?
Old 13-04-2004, 06:33 AM
Starlord

I'd go a lot deeper, those dahlia tubers can get good sized and if the
drainage isn't real good, they'll rot real good.

Dragons Must Fly when Thread's in the Sky

www.starlords.org

"Jennifer" wrote in message
om...
I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and has had any

success.
I am setting up a dahlia garden 8 x 16 in a spot which used to have
grass. I am digging out the grass and going down about two feet.

In
order to retain water I was going to line the bottom with plastic,

cut
holes for drainage and then fill up the area with dirt. My two
concerns are, is 2 feet deep enough for a dahlia and even with holes
in the bottom do I run the risk of having the dahlia tubers rot?

---

Old 13-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Jennifer" wrote in message
om...
I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and has had any success.
I am setting up a dahlia garden 8 x 16 in a spot which used to have
grass. I am digging out the grass and going down about two feet. In
order to retain water I was going to line the bottom with plastic, cut
holes for drainage and then fill up the area with dirt. My two
concerns are, is 2 feet deep enough for a dahlia and even with holes
in the bottom do I run the risk of having the dahlia tubers rot?

No and yes. Why do you need to line the area at all? Simply add some good
quality soil to the planting area to add fertility and moisture retention
and plant them directly in the ground.

pam - gardengal