Old 17-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Roy

Default Centepede sod question(s)

I justs laid 150 yards of what wassupposed to be centepede sod. It was
still basically just coming out of dormancy, but it had a thick mat of
the typical looking centepede grass. It has now taken hold and growing
pretty darn good, except the grasses blades are long up to 8 or 10
inches in length, and not the type that usually lays close to the
ground. My front yard has had centepede in it for over 30 years and it
has never grown like this grass is. My grass in the front yard is
still just starting to green up and get short small growth but this
newly laid sod looks more like a stand of fescue.......

Is this normal or is there an over abunaance of other grasses
contained in this sod? I paid for centepede not fescue or other
grasses.

In one way its fine, as its green and covers the original bare ground,
and anaything is better than dirt. The bed was prepared by tilling 4
inches andapplying fertilizer, raked and leveled, and the sod laid,
rolled and watered. I don;t think it wold have been any wild seed
coming in from the original ground as it never had grass before, and
it would not have grown as quick as it did if it was freshly geminated
seed.

Regards

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.