Old 18-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Stew Corman

Default What is my name??

I planted a bunch of these from a friend who called it a "trout
plant".
Don't know if it is a wildflower or cultured.
Did an exhaustive google search to no avail.
It is spring now in midstate NY, so I took my digicam outside and have
attached a pic:
http://www.geocities.com/scorman/pic...ers/sm0381.jpg

It supposedly was called a trout plant because of the green leaves
speckled with white/cream spots.
It is now about six inches high and has two different colored flowers
...blue and light purple.

TIA for a link that defines this pretty perrenial.

Stew Corman from sunny Endicott
Old 18-04-2004, 05:02 AM
SugarChile

The link is not available right now, so I can't see the picture, but just
from your description it sounds like a pulmonaria. There's lots of
different varieties, all of them lovely. I've never heard it called a trout
plant, but that could be a regional thing.

Here's some pictures:
http://www.hardybamboo.com/shop/prod...how=Pulmonaria
http://hardyplants.com/Pulmonar.htm
but they don't really do it justice,
and here's a good article:
http://www.plantdelights.com/Tony/pulmonaria.html

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

om...

Old 18-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Pam - gardengal

You got it in one, Sue, and without benefit of the photo. It is indeed
Pulmonaria, also commonly called lungwort or sometimes Jerusalem Sage. I've
never heard it referred to as trout plant either, but it fits.

pam - gardengal

Old 18-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Sed5555

It supposedly was called a trout plant because of the green leaves
speckled with white/cream spots.
It is now about six inches high and has two different colored flowers
..blue and light purple.

Looks like lungwort (pulmonaria).
sed5555
Old 18-04-2004, 12:03 PM
David Hill

I've never heard of pulmonaria referred to as Jerusalem sage, normally that
is Phlomis.... http://www.diggingdog.com/pages2/phlomis.php

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 19-04-2004, 03:04 AM
Ann

"Pam - gardengal" expounded:

You got it in one, Sue, and without benefit of the photo. It is indeed
Pulmonaria, also commonly called lungwort or sometimes Jerusalem Sage. I've
never heard it referred to as trout plant either, but it fits.

I've heard it called Trout Lily, but not Trout Plant.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 19-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Janice

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 02:40:29 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

You got it in one, Sue, and without benefit of the photo. It is indeed
Pulmonaria, also commonly called lungwort or sometimes Jerusalem Sage. I've
never heard it referred to as trout plant either, but it fits.

pam - gardengal

When I first saw it I was told it was commonly called "little boy and
little girl" plant because of the blue and pink flowers. But was also
told it was called pulmonaria.

Janice

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Scientific Name Eschsclozia californica COMMON NAME CALIFORNIA POPPY Family Name Papavaraceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 4 23-03-2011 07:44 PM
Scientific Name Salvia mellifera COMMON NAME BLACK SAGE Family Name Lamiaceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 1 23-03-2011 09:22 AM
[IBC] Tree Name Database. Was [IBC] Name Meaning Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 0 16-10-2004 11:45 AM
orchid name lookup rick Orchids 8 09-02-2003 09:01 AM
And the name is..... apostolis Bonsai 1 27-01-2003 11:05 PM