Old 18-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Twobtold

Default Brown Spot(s) on Rhodo.

Hi --
Seeking opinions on what to do, if anything, about brown spots
and discoloration on Rhododendron leaves. I found info about brown
spots with white in the middle but there is no white spots on these
leaves. Well-establishes plants in Zone 6, NJ

http://members.aol.com/twobtold/Garden/1Rhodo_leaf.jpg

Thanks for any insight.
Old 18-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Mike LaMana

My best guess is a fugal leaf spot called Cercospora. Generally only an
aesthetic issue. Make sure to =remove fallen leaves to partly interrupt the
transmission cycle. There fungicides that can be used, but these only
effective if used as a preventative, and thus must be used every year, The
disease is gen worst when humidity is high in the spring, and when temps.
hover near 50 deg F during these humid times.

Good luck

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 18-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Twobtold

From: "Mike LaMana" fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotne

My best guess is a fugal leaf spot called Cercospora. Generally only an
aesthetic issue.

Thanks for reply. Looks similiar if not the same.
http://www.ppath.cas.psu.edu/EXTENSI...E/imgs/050.jpg

Old 18-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Mike LaMana

OK, I know that Rhodo also gets Septoria. Maybe a better candidate.

Old 19-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Beecrofter

(Twobtold) wrote in message ...
Hi --
Seeking opinions on what to do, if anything, about brown spots
and discoloration on Rhododendron leaves. I found info about brown
spots with white in the middle but there is no white spots on these
leaves. Well-establishes plants in Zone 6, NJ

http://members.aol.com/twobtold/Garden/1Rhodo_leaf.jpg

Thanks for any insight.

Did you have a wet spring last year?
It's last years damage. Fungal leaf spot of some sort. Not cured only prevented.
In a wet spring you would be spraying fungicides until the cows came home.

Old 19-04-2004, 04:02 AM
Stephen M. Henning

In article ,
(Twobtold) wrote:

Seeking opinions on what to do, if anything, about brown spots
and discoloration on Rhododendron leaves. I found info about brown
spots with white in the middle but there is no white spots on these
leaves. Well-establishes plants in Zone 6, NJ

1) Wind and cold damage is indicated when the edges of the leaves become
distorted and turn brown. This occurs frequently in plants that may be
in a colder climate than recommended or in a location with severe
exposure. Note, boron poisoning will create the same symptoms.

2) Large leaved rhododendron are susceptible to sunscald if the plants
do not receive enough moisture before the soil freezes. The leaves curl
in cold winter weather, exposing the central part of the leaf but not
the edges, resulting in the area near the main vein becomes desiccated
and turns brown. To prevent this, water plants thoroughly before the
first hard frost, protect from drying winds, apply mulch, and locate in
partial shade.

3) If a leaf has brown areas with white spots, it probably has a local
fungal infection of Pestalotia leaf spot. This is seldom controlled with
fungicides and is best mitigated by good sanitation and avoiding
excessive moisture.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

[IMG] code is On

beech hedge and rhodo ponticum SusieThompson United Kingdom 6 21-12-2011 08:05 PM
brown spot where ex-tree roots are in hot yard effi Gardening 0 04-06-2003 01:08 AM
Prune PJM Rhodo Shrek Gardening 2 21-05-2003 01:56 AM
Brown Spot GF Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Brown Spot GF Texas 2 16-03-2003 11:20 PM