Old 18-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Rob

Default giant digger bee colony

thanks, yes i thought they were wasps (i hadn't gotten too close to them), i
now know they are not. the rush to get rid of them is that there are
hundreds of holes, hundreds of bees flying around at any given time, and
they are in an area where we frequently have guests with children parking
(and they are now spreading into the front yard as well).

"Beecrofter" wrote in message
om...
"Rob" wrote in message

We have an absolutely huge colony of wasps on a strip of lawn. There is
about a one foot tall mound of dirt that appears to be their main

entrance,
but they have literally hundreds of other entrances over a 30' x 8'

area.
At any given time during the day, there are dozens of bees all over that
stretch of yard. When we have guests over, this is the area they

usually
park in. How can I possibly kill a colony this large, there must be
thousands of wasps.

From your description a few messages down you have small solitary bees
that found an undisturbed place to set up housekeeping. Each female is
a queen, each has their own nest. These are very gentle bees, what is
the rush to kill them?
Good pollinators too. Odds are you could mow right over the spot and
never get stung.
By the way bee and wasp is not interchangeable .