Old 01-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Janice

Default buy snake plant, get free frog?

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:17:16 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

Janice wrote in
:

Tree frog might be from the area where the plant was grown/shipped
from, or it could be from the area local to the store where the plant
was bought.. if it had been outside there, or was outside. I've seen
another frog pic posted in one of the garden groups recently similar
looking frog.

I've seen frogs that green here, but smaller and with Dark stripes
rather than light. We have a brown version and a green version of the
same tree frog.

Janice

yeah I remember reading about the frog here (rec.gardens) and it's the same
kind of frog. of course I just assumed my own special froggy couldn't be
the same, but it looks like they are both identified as a green tree frog,
hyla cinerea. I think mine has smoother skin, so it would beat the other
frog in a beauty contest (or wait, is bumpy skin better on frogs?)

warty bumpy comparatively dry skin=toads
frogs are usually pretty moist and smooth

Toads can get along without a pond except at spawning time
Frogs want water or pretty moist places most of the time... although
tree frogs live in "trees" .. but not where I live, they live under
the barrels, in the moist grass, in or near the irrigation ditch. I
think most of the tree frogs in this area disappeared because years
ago I'd gotten 2 bullfrog tadpoles and I gave them to the neighbor at
that time and they lived turned into bullfrogs.. thankfully the same
sex as they didn't make a lot more bullfrogs as I later found out
that they eat everything they can manage to swallow, including other
frogs, even other bullfrogs, birds.. neighbor saw one get a goldfinch
that got too close,. They'll eat baby ducks too. Anything that
moves!

Since the only water in blocks that is still enough to spawn in is the
pond the bull frogs once owned, I'm pretty sure the frogs and if they
got a chance to spawn their eggs and/or tadpoles became a snack for
the bullfrogs or the koi. I've not heard a frog for years! I did see
something hop in the front yard last year, but didn't have a
flashlight to see what it was.. I can only hope it was a frog or
toad! Toads are better they eat slugs!

anyway, I cut open the bag of potting soil yesterday and the frog moved off
to loiter on the stack of buckets the bag was leaning on. Last night/today
it rained and I don't see him/her anymore, after about 3 days of just
hanging around. So maybe it went off for a swim or maybe it just took it
that long to realize a bag of potting soil is not a tree.

If it rained.. it finally felt like it could move on looking for a
better home without drying up. They turn into frog mummies quickly!
I have found them when they've come in and gotten all coated with cat
hair to the point they couldn't do much more than crawl, and if they
crawled under or behind things then I can't find them and fix them by
putting them in some water and pull the hair off them and then put
them outside.

Hopefully the froggie found another froggie and they make lots of
tadpoles to eat up the evil mosquitoes!

Janice