GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cinnamon fights damp-off? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/59882-cinnamon-fights-damp-off.html)

GSHATTERHAND 25-04-2004 11:08 PM

Cinnamon fights damp-off?

I just read about using cinnamom being helpful in combating damp-off. Does
anyone have experience with this method? My seedlings are about 1/4 inch high.
One has succumbed to damp-off. Can I sprinkle cinnamon around the seedlings,
right on top of the soil, even at this stage?

mmarteen 28-04-2004 01:02 AM

Cinnamon fights damp-off?

Cinnamon is a natural fungicide so it should help. When I overwater and get
white mold in the seed tray it kills it off quick.

mm

MWhite3660 07-05-2004 06:02 AM

Cinnamon fights damp-off?

You should get some vermiculite and put a think layer of it on top of the soil
after the seeds germinate. It will preven the moisture from killing out the
seedling. You can find it at a nursery and it is wonderful for what you need.
Also works well out in the lawn. Give it a try and I am sure you will be happy
as will your plants.

dps 07-05-2004 12:02 PM

Cinnamon fights damp-off?

GSHATTERHAND wrote:
I just read about using cinnamom being helpful in combating damp-off. Does
anyone have experience with this method? My seedlings are about 1/4 inch high.
One has succumbed to damp-off. Can I sprinkle cinnamon around the seedlings,
right on top of the soil, even at this stage?

I've never used cinnamon against damp-off. Air circulation works great.
Just put a fan in the room where your seedlings are so that the air
moves over them. Damp-off needs a wet soil-air interface to grow, so
keeping the air moving dries out the surface. When I put the fan in the
room my damp-off problems dropped from 20-40% to less than 1%.

Father Haskell 08-05-2004 02:03 AM

Cinnamon fights damp-off?

dps wrote:

GSHATTERHAND wrote:
I just read about using cinnamom being helpful in combating damp-off. Does
anyone have experience with this method? My seedlings are about 1/4 inch high.
One has succumbed to damp-off. Can I sprinkle cinnamon around the seedlings,
right on top of the soil, even at this stage?

I've never used cinnamon against damp-off. Air circulation works great.
Just put a fan in the room where your seedlings are so that the air
moves over them. Damp-off needs a wet soil-air interface to grow, so
keeping the air moving dries out the surface. When I put the fan in the
room my damp-off problems dropped from 20-40% to less than 1%.

Try fluorescents, about 4" above the seedlings. Haven't had dampoff
since using them.

GSHATTERHAND 12-05-2004 06:07 PM

Cinnamon fights damp-off?

Thank you Father Haskell and dps. Very helpful suggestions.

GSHATTERHAND 12-05-2004 06:07 PM

Cinnamon fights damp-off?

Thank you, mwhite. I hadn't heard of this solution to damp-off.