Old 25-04-2004, 11:08 PM
GSHATTERHAND

Default Cinnamon fights damp-off?

I just read about using cinnamom being helpful in combating damp-off. Does
anyone have experience with this method? My seedlings are about 1/4 inch high.
One has succumbed to damp-off. Can I sprinkle cinnamon around the seedlings,
right on top of the soil, even at this stage?
Old 28-04-2004, 01:02 AM
mmarteen

Cinnamon is a natural fungicide so it should help. When I overwater and get
white mold in the seed tray it kills it off quick.

mm

Old 07-05-2004, 06:02 AM
MWhite3660

You should get some vermiculite and put a think layer of it on top of the soil
after the seeds germinate. It will preven the moisture from killing out the
seedling. You can find it at a nursery and it is wonderful for what you need.
Also works well out in the lawn. Give it a try and I am sure you will be happy
as will your plants.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:02 PM
dps

GSHATTERHAND wrote:
I just read about using cinnamom being helpful in combating damp-off. Does
anyone have experience with this method? My seedlings are about 1/4 inch high.
One has succumbed to damp-off. Can I sprinkle cinnamon around the seedlings,
right on top of the soil, even at this stage?

I've never used cinnamon against damp-off. Air circulation works great.
Just put a fan in the room where your seedlings are so that the air
moves over them. Damp-off needs a wet soil-air interface to grow, so
keeping the air moving dries out the surface. When I put the fan in the
room my damp-off problems dropped from 20-40% to less than 1%.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:03 AM
Father Haskell

dps wrote:

GSHATTERHAND wrote:
I just read about using cinnamom being helpful in combating damp-off. Does
anyone have experience with this method? My seedlings are about 1/4 inch high.
One has succumbed to damp-off. Can I sprinkle cinnamon around the seedlings,
right on top of the soil, even at this stage?

I've never used cinnamon against damp-off. Air circulation works great.
Just put a fan in the room where your seedlings are so that the air
moves over them. Damp-off needs a wet soil-air interface to grow, so
keeping the air moving dries out the surface. When I put the fan in the
room my damp-off problems dropped from 20-40% to less than 1%.

Try fluorescents, about 4" above the seedlings. Haven't had dampoff
since using them.

Old 12-05-2004, 06:07 PM
GSHATTERHAND

Thank you Father Haskell and dps. Very helpful suggestions.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:07 PM
GSHATTERHAND

Thank you, mwhite. I hadn't heard of this solution to damp-off.

[IMG] code is On

Two Acre Wood (Hummingbird Fights!) Patty Peeples Garden Photos 2 04-09-2007 10:37 PM
Roy "Tristan" Hauer fights rpm moderators round two Welcome to news.groups.proposals! Tristan Ponds 0 03-01-2007 02:38 PM
fish fights fire Ka30P Ponds 4 31-01-2004 11:14 PM
[IBC] RV: [IBC] Cinnamon!!! Monica Fernandez Bonsai 0 26-03-2003 12:44 PM
[IBC] cinnamon as pesticide -- BE CAREFUL! Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 25-03-2003 03:56 AM