GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Canada thistle (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/60283-canada-thistle.html)

EBG 30-04-2004 05:02 PM

Canada thistle

I have this Canada thistle everywhere and I'll assume it's from my finch
feeder?

Anyway, I read where you can get rid of it by not letting it go to
seed.....is that true?

Just cut it before it seeds and it won't propagate any other way?

Damn that Canada.

eclectic 30-04-2004 06:04 PM

Canada thistle

"EBG" wrote in message
I have this Canada thistle everywhere and I'll assume it's from my finch
feeder?

Anyway, I read where you can get rid of it by not letting it go to
seed.....is that true?

Just cut it before it seeds and it won't propagate any other way?

Damn that Canada.

Well we here prefer to think of the perennial Canada Thistle
(Cirsium avense) as European in origin. Damn those Europeans. :^)

Trying to get rid of it by not letting it go to seed won't work. It has a
fleshy root system which produces multiple offshoots. Spot spraying with
Roundup is effective.

theoneflasehaddock 04-05-2004 06:02 PM

Canada thistle

Subject: Canada thistle
From: "EBG"
Date: 4/30/2004 11:37 AM Central Daylight Time
I have this Canada thistle everywhere and I'll assume it's from my finch
feeder?

Anyway, I read where you can get rid of it by not letting it go to
seed.....is that true?

Just cut it before it seeds and it won't propagate any other way?

Damn that Canada.

just dig it at the base. If you break the roots, most thistles won't come back
from them. Just get a long shovel, poke it into the dirt just below it, reach
under the damned thing and carry it off.

We had, thanks to the previous owners of our house, about 30 of the suckers
this year - some made it to over a foot across before we got them.

-

theoneflasehaddock

theoneflasehaddock 04-05-2004 06:02 PM

Canada thistle

From: "eclectic"
Date: 4/30/2004 11:26 AM Central Daylight Time

"EBG" wrote in message
I have this Canada thistle everywhere and I'll assume it's from my finch
feeder?

Anyway, I read where you can get rid of it by not letting it go to
seed.....is that true?

Just cut it before it seeds and it won't propagate any other way?

Damn that Canada.

Well we here prefer to think of the perennial Canada Thistle
(Cirsium avense) as European in origin. Damn those Europeans. :^)

Trying to get rid of it by not letting it go to seed won't work. It has a
fleshy root system which produces multiple offshoots. Spot spraying with
Roundup is effective.

What the **** do you need roundup for? Just dig the damn thing. It doesn't even
take any longer than it does to use your goddamn chemicals.

-

theoneflasehaddock

zxcvbob 04-05-2004 07:02 PM

Canada thistle

From: "eclectic"
Date: 4/30/2004 11:26 AM Central Daylight Time

"EBG" wrote in message

I have this Canada thistle everywhere and I'll assume it's from my finch
feeder?

Anyway, I read where you can get rid of it by not letting it go to
seed.....is that true?

Just cut it before it seeds and it won't propagate any other way?

Damn that Canada.

Well we here prefer to think of the perennial Canada Thistle
(Cirsium avense) as European in origin. Damn those Europeans. :^)

Trying to get rid of it by not letting it go to seed won't work. It has a
fleshy root system which produces multiple offshoots. Spot spraying with
Roundup is effective.

What the **** do you need roundup for? Just dig the damn thing. It doesn't even
take any longer than it does to use your goddamn chemicals.

-

theoneflasehaddock

I use 2,4-d to spot-treat thistles and dandelions. It doesn't kill the
grass like RoundUp. In the garden, I pull them up.

Bob

B & J 05-05-2004 07:02 AM

Canada thistle

From: "EBG"
Date: 4/30/2004 11:37 AM Central Daylight Time
I have this Canada thistle everywhere and I'll assume it's from my finch
feeder?

Anyway, I read where you can get rid of it by not letting it go to
seed.....is that true?

The "thistle" seed you feed to birds (goldfinches?) is a misnomer. It is not
a thistle but a member of the sunflower family. I've feed it for years with
no thistle problems. Canadian thistles do not come from this "thistle" seed.

Check this site:

http://birdcare.com/birdon/encyclopedia/niger+seed.html

John