GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strange Beatle (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/60435-strange-beatle.html)

Anna 02-05-2004 11:04 PM

Strange Beatle

My granddaughter caught a strange beetle on my sliding glass door. I live
in zone 8, Oregon. I posted a picture of it on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens .
Can anyone id it for us? It looks like something from a science fiction
movie. It has iridescent markings on a saucer like shell, which is almost
transparent around the edges.
Many thanks
Anna

Mike LaMana 03-05-2004 12:03 AM

Strange Beatle

I haven't seen the pic, but it sounds like Morning glory leaf beetle.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Lar 03-05-2004 03:03 AM

Strange Beatle

On Sun, 2 May 2004 14:15:04 -0700, "Anna" wrote:

:) My granddaughter caught a strange beetle on my sliding glass door. I live
:) in zone 8, Oregon. I posted a picture of it on
:) alt.binaries.pictures.gardens .
:) Can anyone id it for us? It looks like something from a science fiction
:) movie. It has iridescent markings on a saucer like shell, which is almost
:) transparent around the edges.
:) Many thanks
:) Anna
:)

Here is a link to a "Fools gold beetle"
http://www.museums.org.za/bio/insect...rpha_tecta.htm
close but not exactly, but you probably can hunt it down on the web.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Anna 03-05-2004 05:02 AM

Strange Beatle

Thanks for the responses. Ours has a clear circle around the edge then the
jacket looking thing is black with iridescent green/yellow markings. Very
strange. I have looked at several pictures on the web of similar beetles,
but none have the same coloring.
Anna

Pat Kiewicz 03-05-2004 01:02 PM

Strange Beatle

Anna said:

My granddaughter caught a strange beetle on my sliding glass door. I live
in zone 8, Oregon. I posted a picture of it on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens .
Can anyone id it for us? It looks like something from a science fiction
movie. It has iridescent markings on a saucer like shell, which is almost
transparent around the edges.

It is a type of tortoise beetle (family Chrysomelidae, subfamily Cassidinae).
Exactly which species is hard to determine.

If you haven't tried posting to sci.bio.entomology.misc, you should...

(attributed to Don Marti)

J. Del Col 03-05-2004 01:02 PM

Strange Beatle

"Anna" wrote in message ...
My granddaughter caught a strange beetle on my sliding glass door. I live
in zone 8, Oregon. I posted a picture of it on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens .
Can anyone id it for us? It looks like something from a science fiction
movie. It has iridescent markings on a saucer like shell, which is almost
transparent around the edges.
Many thanks
Anna

Stu Sutcliffe, Pete Best? Ringo acted up at times, so did the rest of
the Liverpudlian Fab Four.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

J. Del Col

Beecrofter 03-05-2004 03:02 PM

Strange Beatle

"Anna" wrote in message ...
My granddaughter caught a strange beetle on my sliding glass door. I live
in zone 8, Oregon. I posted a picture of it on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens .
Can anyone id it for us? It looks like something from a science fiction
movie. It has iridescent markings on a saucer like shell, which is almost
transparent around the edges.
Many thanks
Anna

Sounds like one of the tortoise beetles.