Old 02-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Anna

Default Strange Beatle

My granddaughter caught a strange beetle on my sliding glass door. I live
in zone 8, Oregon. I posted a picture of it on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens .
Can anyone id it for us? It looks like something from a science fiction
movie. It has iridescent markings on a saucer like shell, which is almost
transparent around the edges.
Many thanks
Anna

Old 03-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Mike LaMana

I haven't seen the pic, but it sounds like Morning glory leaf beetle.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 03-05-2004, 03:03 AM
Lar

On Sun, 2 May 2004 14:15:04 -0700, "Anna" wrote:

My granddaughter caught a strange beetle on my sliding glass door. I live
in zone 8, Oregon. I posted a picture of it on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens .
Can anyone id it for us? It looks like something from a science fiction
movie. It has iridescent markings on a saucer like shell, which is almost
transparent around the edges.
Many thanks
Anna

Here is a link to a "Fools gold beetle"
http://www.museums.org.za/bio/insect...rpha_tecta.htm
close but not exactly, but you probably can hunt it down on the web.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Old 03-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Anna

Thanks for the responses. Ours has a clear circle around the edge then the
jacket looking thing is black with iridescent green/yellow markings. Very
strange. I have looked at several pictures on the web of similar beetles,
but none have the same coloring.
Anna

Old 03-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Anna said:

My granddaughter caught a strange beetle on my sliding glass door. I live
in zone 8, Oregon. I posted a picture of it on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens .
Can anyone id it for us? It looks like something from a science fiction
movie. It has iridescent markings on a saucer like shell, which is almost
transparent around the edges.

It is a type of tortoise beetle (family Chrysomelidae, subfamily Cassidinae).
Exactly which species is hard to determine.

If you haven't tried posting to sci.bio.entomology.misc, you should...

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 03-05-2004, 01:02 PM
J. Del Col

"Anna" wrote in message ...
My granddaughter caught a strange beetle on my sliding glass door. I live
in zone 8, Oregon. I posted a picture of it on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens .
Can anyone id it for us? It looks like something from a science fiction
movie. It has iridescent markings on a saucer like shell, which is almost
transparent around the edges.
Many thanks
Anna

Stu Sutcliffe, Pete Best? Ringo acted up at times, so did the rest of
the Liverpudlian Fab Four.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

J. Del Col
Old 03-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Beecrofter

"Anna" wrote in message ...
My granddaughter caught a strange beetle on my sliding glass door. I live
in zone 8, Oregon. I posted a picture of it on
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens .
Can anyone id it for us? It looks like something from a science fiction
movie. It has iridescent markings on a saucer like shell, which is almost
transparent around the edges.
Many thanks
Anna

Sounds like one of the tortoise beetles.

[IMG] code is On

Ground Beatle? pitmastonlady United Kingdom 12 06-11-2005 09:18 PM
Beatle On My Basil alan[remove][email protected] Edible Gardening 0 02-09-2005 07:51 PM
Red Lily Beatle Treetops Gardening 1 14-10-2004 03:23 PM
A strange sight at Home Depot...nothing strange at all about their practice! Roy Gardening 3 01-04-2004 07:41 AM
strange mushroom on my money tree manish mukherjee Gardening 2 21-02-2003 04:27 AM