GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to get rid of dandelions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/60691-how-get-rid-dandelions.html)

[email protected] 05-05-2004 09:03 PM

How to get rid of dandelions

For some reason, my lawn has been taken over by dandelions this year. I
have tried spraying weed killer (Ortho: the type that you hook with the
water hose and spray with water), but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks.

-sm

Salty Thumb 06-05-2004 12:02 AM

How to get rid of dandelions

lid wrote in :

For some reason, my lawn has been taken over by dandelions this year. I
have tried spraying weed killer (Ortho: the type that you hook with the
water hose and spray with water), but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks.

-sm

If the chemical warfare doesn't pan out for you and you're up for hours of
backbreaking labor, you could try pulling them out manually. Personally I
like to just rip off the flowers if the plant is small. If it doesn't die
of shame, it will try shooting up more flowers at which point you can dig
out the tap root. You may even be able to count this as lawn aeration on
your income tax return. I wouldn't compost the debris after yordeling them
with whatever herbicide you've been using, but if you stick all your
dandelion pulls in a bucket with some water, it makes for some serious kind
of stanky.

Tom Randy 06-05-2004 01:06 AM

How to get rid of dandelions

On Wed, 05 May 2004 15:27:21 -0400, user wrote:

For some reason, my lawn has been taken over by dandelions this year. I
have tried spraying weed killer (Ortho: the type that you hook with the
water hose and spray with water), but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks.

-sm

I found Scotts turf plus 2 does a good job on them.

Now ground ivy is a whole OTHER serious problem....

Allview 06-05-2004 01:02 PM

How to get rid of dandelions

I found Scotts turf plus 2 does a good job on them.

Now ground ivy is a whole OTHER serious problem....

I used a Scotts product yesterday. I know it will take care of the dandelions
and it says on the bag that it will kill ground ivy. We shall see.

Marilyn

Hound [email protected] 06-05-2004 03:04 PM

How to get rid of dandelions

I finally called a lawn service two weeks ago. My lawn full of dandelions
was completely devoid of the yellow flowers and seed heads two days after
they sprayed it, and a week later there was no sign of the weed at all.

The lawn service aerated my lawn three days ago and after a good watering,
the grass is greener and fuller than I have ever seen it.

They will return in another two weeks to treat for crabgrass.

Unless ALL your near-by neighbors con troll the dandelions and crabgrass in
their yards, your chances of controlling them in your lawn by just pulling
them, especially in a larger yard, are next to nil.

Vox Humana 06-05-2004 03:05 PM

How to get rid of dandelions

Hound wrote in message
I finally called a lawn service two weeks ago. My lawn full of dandelions
was completely devoid of the yellow flowers and seed heads two days after
they sprayed it, and a week later there was no sign of the weed at all.

The lawn service aerated my lawn three days ago and after a good watering,
the grass is greener and fuller than I have ever seen it.

They will return in another two weeks to treat for crabgrass.

Unless ALL your near-by neighbors con troll the dandelions and crabgrass

in
their yards, your chances of controlling them in your lawn by just pulling
them, especially in a larger yard, are next to nil.

You can use less toxic pre-emergent herbicides to prevent weeds from
starting. Along with good cultural practices that promote a dense, healthy
turf, this should keep your nighbors' weeds from getting established in your
yard, all but eliminating the need to use post-emergents or physical
removal.

Brigitte J. 06-05-2004 04:02 PM

How to get rid of dandelions

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

Hound wrote in message
[...]

Hi Vox,
Can you recommend one?

Thanks,
Brigitte

Lee 06-05-2004 06:04 PM

How to get rid of dandelions

lid wrote in message ...
For some reason, my lawn has been taken over by dandelions this year. I
have tried spraying weed killer (Ortho: the type that you hook with the
water hose and spray with water), but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks.

-sm

i think the best way to get rid of them is to decide you want them to
grow! I have several herbal formulas that require Dandilion leaves,
roots or blooms so i have been harvesting them quite regularly as i
really don't have a lot. i even harvest my neighbors. They really are
a healthy food/tea or potherb.
i am afraid i will decimate my crop! LOL..not really LOL.. serious
business when run out of them! G
Lee h

zxcvbob 06-05-2004 08:02 PM

How to get rid of dandelions

Tom Randy wrote:
On Wed, 05 May 2004 15:27:21 -0400, user wrote:

For some reason, my lawn has been taken over by dandelions this year. I
have tried spraying weed killer (Ortho: the type that you hook with the
water hose and spray with water), but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks.

-sm

I found Scotts turf plus 2 does a good job on them.

Now ground ivy is a whole OTHER serious problem....

I've had the best luck killing creeping charlie by fluffing it up with a
steel rake before I mow, so the lawnmower gets it. I also pull some of
it by hand. Chemicals don't seem to bother it much. I haven't tried
Trimec yet because I haven't had to. Raking and mowing works
surprisingly well.

-Bob

Vox Humana 06-05-2004 08:03 PM

How to get rid of dandelions

"Brigitte J." wrote in message

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

Hound wrote in message
[...]

Most of the "step one" turf builders have a pre-emergent herbicide. Look
for labels that say they "prevent" weeds. I believe that Scott's turf
builder with Halts is a pre-emergent. It inhibits seeds from germinating
(like Preen). It won't kill existing weeds, so you will have to deal with
the ones that are already there. After that, you can prevent 99% of them
with the pre-emergent treatment and spot treat the couple that pop up here
and there.

the q 06-05-2004 08:05 PM

How to get rid of dandelions

wrote in message
For some reason, my lawn has been taken over by dandelions this year. I
have tried spraying weed killer (Ortho: the type that you hook with the
water hose and spray with water), but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks.

-sm

Make Dandelion wine you can guarantee there aren't enough of them then...

The Q

[email protected] 06-05-2004 08:05 PM

How to get rid of dandelions

Hound wrote:
I finally called a lawn service two weeks ago. My lawn full of dandelions
was completely devoid of the yellow flowers and seed heads two days after
they sprayed it, and a week later there was no sign of the weed at all.

The lawn service aerated my lawn three days ago and after a good watering,
the grass is greener and fuller than I have ever seen it.

They will return in another two weeks to treat for crabgrass.

Unless ALL your near-by neighbors con troll the dandelions and crabgrass in
their yards, your chances of controlling them in your lawn by just pulling
them, especially in a larger yard, are next to nil.

Hound,
Do you know what chemical the lawn service sprayed in your lawn to get
rid of dandelions?

For me, this is turning out to be a serious problem. I am afraid that
these things will end up killing all the grass.

Thanks.

-sm

zxcvbob 06-05-2004 09:03 PM

How to get rid of dandelions

lid wrote:

Hound,
Do you know what chemical the lawn service sprayed in your lawn to get
rid of dandelions?

For me, this is turning out to be a serious problem. I am afraid that
these things will end up killing all the grass.

Thanks.

They use 2,4-d or something chemically very similar to it. I can smell
the stuff when the lawn services do my neighbors' lawns. And it doesn't
kill grass from the overspray like Round-up does.

I use 2,4-d in a spray bottle and squirt each dandelion or thistle with
it. The goal is to use a little 2,4-d as I can get by with and still
get the job done. Granules or a hose-on sprayer put down way too much
poison in my opinion. Usually one application in the spring is all I
need for a year; the grass can compete after that.

If you really have a lot of dandelions to do, use a pump-up sprayer.
But be careful what you use that sprayer for once you've put weed killer
in it.

Bob

Hal 06-05-2004 10:02 PM

How to get rid of dandelions

On Thu, 06 May 2004 12:55:30 -0600, lid wrote:

Hound,
Do you know what chemical the lawn service sprayed in your lawn to get
rid of dandelions?

For me, this is turning out to be a serious problem. I am afraid that
these things will end up killing all the grass.

I'm not Hound, but Weed-Be-Gone works well on dandelions. It needs
to be used before the weather gets too hot, above 85 F, I think. It
won't harm your grass but will harm other broad leafed plants. I
usually use it in the fall, but it works in the spring too.

Regards,

Hal