Old 05-05-2004, 09:03 PM

Default How to get rid of dandelions

For some reason, my lawn has been taken over by dandelions this year. I
have tried spraying weed killer (Ortho: the type that you hook with the
water hose and spray with water), but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks.

-sm

Old 06-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Tom Randy

On Wed, 05 May 2004 15:27:21 -0400, user wrote:

For some reason, my lawn has been taken over by dandelions this year. I
have tried spraying weed killer (Ortho: the type that you hook with the
water hose and spray with water), but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks.

-sm

I found Scotts turf plus 2 does a good job on them.

Now ground ivy is a whole OTHER serious problem....

Old 06-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Allview

I found Scotts turf plus 2 does a good job on them.

Now ground ivy is a whole OTHER serious problem....

I used a Scotts product yesterday. I know it will take care of the dandelions
and it says on the bag that it will kill ground ivy. We shall see.

Marilyn

Old 06-05-2004, 03:04 PM

I finally called a lawn service two weeks ago. My lawn full of dandelions
was completely devoid of the yellow flowers and seed heads two days after
they sprayed it, and a week later there was no sign of the weed at all.

The lawn service aerated my lawn three days ago and after a good watering,
the grass is greener and fuller than I have ever seen it.

They will return in another two weeks to treat for crabgrass.

Unless ALL your near-by neighbors con troll the dandelions and crabgrass in
their yards, your chances of controlling them in your lawn by just pulling
them, especially in a larger yard, are next to nil.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:02 PM
zxcvbob

Tom Randy wrote:
On Wed, 05 May 2004 15:27:21 -0400, user wrote:

For some reason, my lawn has been taken over by dandelions this year. I
have tried spraying weed killer (Ortho: the type that you hook with the
water hose and spray with water), but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks.

-sm

I found Scotts turf plus 2 does a good job on them.

Now ground ivy is a whole OTHER serious problem....

I've had the best luck killing creeping charlie by fluffing it up with a
steel rake before I mow, so the lawnmower gets it. I also pull some of
it by hand. Chemicals don't seem to bother it much. I haven't tried
Trimec yet because I haven't had to. Raking and mowing works
surprisingly well.

-Bob

Old 06-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Vox Humana

"Brigitte J." wrote in message

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
news

Hound wrote in message
I finally called a lawn service two weeks ago. My lawn full of

dandelions
was completely devoid of the yellow flowers and seed heads two days

after
they sprayed it, and a week later there was no sign of the weed at

all.

The lawn service aerated my lawn three days ago and after a good

watering,
the grass is greener and fuller than I have ever seen it.

They will return in another two weeks to treat for crabgrass.

Unless ALL your near-by neighbors con troll the dandelions and

crabgrass
in
their yards, your chances of controlling them in your lawn by just

pulling
them, especially in a larger yard, are next to nil.

You can use less toxic pre-emergent herbicides to prevent weeds from
starting. Along with good cultural practices that promote a dense,

healthy
turf, this should keep your nighbors' weeds from getting established in

your
yard, all but eliminating the need to use post-emergents or physical
removal.

Hi Vox,
Can you recommend one?

Most of the "step one" turf builders have a pre-emergent herbicide. Look
for labels that say they "prevent" weeds. I believe that Scott's turf
builder with Halts is a pre-emergent. It inhibits seeds from germinating
(like Preen). It won't kill existing weeds, so you will have to deal with
the ones that are already there. After that, you can prevent 99% of them
with the pre-emergent treatment and spot treat the couple that pop up here
and there.

Old 06-05-2004, 08:05 PM
the q

wrote in message
For some reason, my lawn has been taken over by dandelions this year. I
have tried spraying weed killer (Ortho: the type that you hook with the
water hose and spray with water), but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks.

-sm

Make Dandelion wine you can guarantee there aren't enough of them then...

The Q

Old 06-05-2004, 08:05 PM

Hound wrote:
I finally called a lawn service two weeks ago. My lawn full of dandelions
was completely devoid of the yellow flowers and seed heads two days after
they sprayed it, and a week later there was no sign of the weed at all.

The lawn service aerated my lawn three days ago and after a good watering,
the grass is greener and fuller than I have ever seen it.

They will return in another two weeks to treat for crabgrass.

Unless ALL your near-by neighbors con troll the dandelions and crabgrass in
their yards, your chances of controlling them in your lawn by just pulling
them, especially in a larger yard, are next to nil.

Hound,
Do you know what chemical the lawn service sprayed in your lawn to get
rid of dandelions?

For me, this is turning out to be a serious problem. I am afraid that
these things will end up killing all the grass.

Thanks.

-sm