GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What's that sticky stuff on my roses? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/60741-whats-sticky-stuff-my-roses.html)

ted 06-05-2004 04:03 PM

What's that sticky stuff on my roses?

I noticed this morning that there's a clear sticky filmy stuff on my
roses. If you touch the leaves it will stick you. They look fine and
healthy. I sprayed them last week with miraclegrow. I fed them from
top to bottom just the way the instructions said. Did that leave a
film?

Thanks.

David J Bockman 06-05-2004 06:02 PM

What's that sticky stuff on my roses?

Possibilities:

Slime trails from slugs

'Dew' from aphids

Dave

m...

Sed5555 06-05-2004 06:02 PM

What's that sticky stuff on my roses?

I noticed this morning that there's a clear sticky filmy stuff on my
roses.

It may be "honeydew", a substance excreted by insects. Look closely for signs
of scale or aphids.
sed5555

Phisherman 07-05-2004 01:03 AM

On 6 May 2004 07:35:27 -0700, (ted) wrote:

I noticed this morning that there's a clear sticky filmy stuff on my
roses. If you touch the leaves it will stick you. They look fine and
healthy. I sprayed them last week with miraclegrow. I fed them from
top to bottom just the way the instructions said. Did that leave a
film?

Thanks.

Sounds like a symptom due to aphids. Carefully examine the growing
tips. I found that roses grow best with organic fertilizers,
alternating every 2 weeks (composted cow manure, composted chicken
manure, fish emulsion, seaweed, compost, etc.).