Old 07-05-2004, 01:02 AM
Jack Goldstein

Default Planting a "Containerized" Cedar Hedge

Hi gang,

I have a 28' wide structurally-sound rooftop terrace
that is looking pretty bare, garden-wise. The terrace
overlooks a major street in central Toronto. There is
a newish 5' tall black chain-link fence running the
entire 28' width that sits on top of a 3' brick "knee"
wall, probably erected to keep people from falling off
the roof onto the sidewalk below.

Several friends have suggested I erect a cedar hedge
against the 5' fence, growing from a to-be-contructed
trough-like P.T. container that would be permanently
attached to the steel flashing that covers the top of
the 3' brick wall.

The only problem is that I have only 12" of width for the
"trough" to sit on, and would like to restrict the depth of
this to 12-15" maximum.

My question is this. Is there enough soil mass in a
28 foot-long 10" wide x 12" deep container to support 9
or 10 cedar shrubs placed 30" apart?

How durable would such a container be, assuming I used
pressure-treated (P.T.) wood? Would 1/2" diameter holes
drilled near the bottom provide adequate drainage?

Thanks for any advice any of you may have.

Old 07-05-2004, 03:03 AM
David J Bockman

"Jack Goldstein" wrote in message
Hi gang,

My question is this. Is there enough soil mass in a
28 foot-long 10" wide x 12" deep container to support 9
or 10 cedar shrubs placed 30" apart?

In my opinion, no. At least, not long term, without laboriously removing the
trees periodically, root pruning, trimming the foliage, and replenishing the
soil.

How durable would such a container be, assuming I used
pressure-treated (P.T.) wood? Would 1/2" diameter holes
drilled near the bottom provide adequate drainage?

Very durable, however care would have to be given to cupping and splitting
of the wood, especially near the fasteners.

Dave