GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Will a Black Locust grow in S. Texas? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/61219-will-black-locust-grow-s-texas.html)

Jim Caldwell 13-05-2004 01:02 PM

Will a Black Locust grow in S. Texas?

We may be in zone 9 here (Corpus Christi), and I see that this species is
hardy in zone 4-8. Does this mean it gets too hot here for the tree to do
well?

Cereus-validus 13-05-2004 08:04 PM

Will a Black Locust grow in S. Texas?

Sure, why no?

Its not a very long lived tree anyway.

You would be better off growing something better.

zxcvbob 13-05-2004 09:02 PM

Jim Caldwell wrote:

We may be in zone 9 here (Corpus Christi), and I see that this species is
hardy in zone 4-8. Does this mean it gets too hot here for the tree to do
well?

I'm pretty sure honey locust grows OK there.

Best regards,
Bob

Simon 13-05-2004 10:04 PM

Will a Black Locust grow in S. Texas?

I have one growing in the corner of my property here in the northeast Dallas
area. Someone told me it was a black locust. Has thorns all over it.
about 30 ft tall.

Not a tree you want to cultivate in my opinion.

David J Bockman 14-05-2004 01:02 AM

Will a Black Locust grow in S. Texas?

According to Dirr, ROBINIA PSEUDOACACIA (Black Locust, Common Locust,
Yellow or White Locust)

Is hardy in Zones 4-8.

Dave

escapee 14-05-2004 02:05 PM

Will a Black Locust grow in S. Texas?

Dirr only gives cold hardiness, not heat zones. I've seen black locust down
here, but it does get out of hand and reseeds everywhere and takes over and
needs to be weeded out a lot, etc.

On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:05:40 GMT, "David J Bockman"
opined: